sampling issues, looking for a startpoint

Post links, share files, discuss miscellaneous samples. All things samples

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

sampling issues, looking for a startpoint

Postby Ruffatron » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:11 pm

hello and death to you all :twisted:

i've got serious issues finding good themes for my tracks, sounds that will give them some character,
so i thought i'd stop being so lazy and start sampling some shit.

first thing i thought of was sampling jazz (thelonious monk and miles davis to start with) for some stabs etc.
i know it sounds way too classic, but the genre is a good source in general.
whatdja think?

got any advice or favorite records for me to rip off?
doesn't have to be jazz, just looking for some ideas...

Elite!

Postby Stazma » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Rip your favourite music guy !

I you like the music you sample you will love to destroy it in a good way hehehe.
I always take my favourite music and movie for sample.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:03 pm

my advice is to start renting obscure movies, just watch em for fun and youll be bound to hear some good samples come out of it

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:25 pm

If you're like me you will start a project called xNERDS÷ and just sample band name related shit and charles bronson.

Pwner

mash it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby yonosoyelquesoy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 am

If you wanna destroy some jazz do it with the masters: Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong and Coltrane. They are insane!

As divtech said B-movies, gore movies, horror flicks, bizarre stuff have really good ideas to work with! just cut the dialogs and you will find some verry interesting material. Also TV and radio are good sources...

And yeah Stazma is right!!! rip the music you usually hear , you will have more fun mashing it up man...

CoreCore Member

Postby MrKoekje » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:09 am

Most of my more recent tracks have been sped-up pastiches of either oldskool rave or ragga jungle, neither of which I listen to very frequently, but I enjoy those genres nonetheless. The oldskool rave pastiches are usually repetitive, thrown-together abject failures that rarely, if ever, get uploaded due to their sheer turgidity. The ragga jungle pastiches, however, are more often than not my best work.
I would recommend you find some old ragga samples, some quotes from some Adult Swim show or another that you thought was hilarious, and some random echoing bleepy noises, and get to work!

Hardcore Member

Postby Mr. Moloko » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 am

search, search search, and sample... i cant stand horn stabs. dont know why, i just cant...

Elite!

Postby Stazma » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:48 pm

Come listen my new traxxx on myspace, with sample of one of my favourite movie : Death Proof hehehe
Tonigth I will register a lot of concrete sample in the studio of my school I will let you know when I will have made something with ;-)

KEEP SAMPLING !!!!

CoreCore Member

Postby Wobbatha Christie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Go on a sample downloading spree, just random things even if you think they wont do anything for you.
Then browse through them in your DAW and start planning out in your head.

Return to Samples