Help rtificial pick a new DJ mixer

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

pixel mod

Help rtificial pick a new DJ mixer

Postby rtificial » Thu May 07, 2009 2:15 am

I've finally decided my old mixer should be replaced after 12 years of service. So now I'm trying to decide between two mid-level mixers and figured I'd gather some feed back about the mixers and brands.

What I'm looking for is a sturdy(cause I'm going to work the shit outta it!), 3 channel mixer which is middle ground for mixing and turntablism. The fader don't matter too much since I'll probably install my own. I need 3 channels cause I rock two technic 1200's and a laptop during my more fun dj sets.

So first up on the chopping block.

The numark m4
http://www.numark.com/m4

Highlights: 3 channels, lots of inputs/outputs, fader reverse and curve controls.

now for our next contestant.

The Stanton m.304
http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_m304.asp

Highlights: 3 channels, lots of inputs, kill switches, nice fader, low noise technology, effect loops.

So discuss!

Hardcore Member

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri May 08, 2009 4:52 pm

The Stanton is definitely the better of the two. With mixers you basically always get exactly what you pay for...so bearing that in mind, if you're willing to spend another $50 or so you can get this:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DDM4000.aspx

I have one and love it; Killer effects (including bitcrush) in 2 chainable banks, built-in sampler, infinite range eq, assignable crossfader that can be automated to bounce to the midi clock, 4 stereo channels and 2 mono mic inputs. Yes Behringer has a rep for making cheap knockoffs of superior products, but mixers are their pride and joy, and this is their new flagship. It out-features everything within its range, which is why I ended up choosing it. Poor man's DJM800. :oops:

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Sat May 09, 2009 6:25 pm

thanks for the heads up and input.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Sun May 10, 2009 2:04 am

im all about the rane ttm 56, especially for scratching. its labeled as a two channel mixer, but it has an aux that perfectly suitable for a computer input. the turntable preamps are great, it has very low noize, high output, and the eqs have an on off switch, so you can use them as frequency kill switches. there is also a post-crossfader fx send that has an on/off switch as well. if you are looking for good smooth faders, this is the best mixer by far. any pro dj who actually does some sort of scratching either uses rane or vestax. rane is much better imho.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby miskibaul » Sun May 10, 2009 3:46 am

HORSE FORCE wrote:im all about the rane ttm 56

also, any vastex. if your not looking for onboard effects and just a solid piece of equipment that you can beat on and it won't crap out on you.

thats what i would do if i had the extra cash. imo.

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Sun May 10, 2009 5:22 pm

The rane's are nice, but pretty damn pricey.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby vank » Mon May 18, 2009 12:43 am

go with the stanton. numark has a bad rep. the gear ive boughten from them is always shit.

n3wb

Postby monomer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 pm

vank wrote:go with the stanton. numark has a bad rep. the gear ive boughten from them is always shit.

[a little late to the discussion]

I've owned two stanton mixers. Both were crap.

Bought an AEM-100i two years ago. Nothing will beat this in the $400 range. AEM's a rather new company, but they've taken input from Dj's everywhere. (only thing I don't care for is the eq section - I like rotary controls more) ALL inputs are line-in switch-able (6 inputs plus two mic ins)

Bonus is the effects section, which includes two oscillators, stutter, digitise, phasing. It's a noise box in itself.

Return to Hardware