Drum Resources

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Drum Resources

Postby BYTE-Smasher » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:58 pm

Drumatic is a great couple of VSTs... best free 808 emulation EVAR:
Drumatic 3: http://www.e-phonic.com/plugins/drumatic3.php
Drumatic VE: http://www.e-phonic.com/plugins/drumatic_ve.php

Natural Studio drum kits: www.naturalstudio.co.uk
NS drum kits kick ass. They're recorded in a full studio, on a real kit, with about 10 different velocities per type of drum hit.... and best of all, 2 out of 3 of their kits are COMPLETLEY FREE!! .... and well worth it too.

101 Breaks (just a name... there are many more than 101)... the best classic break collection ever... over 800mb of breakbeat goodness: http://tinyurl.com/qfd4l
<b>Come visit #renoise on irc.esper.net, the official Renoise channel, and chat with some real renoise gurus!</b>
/server irc.esper.net
/join #renoise

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Why would any producer need 10 different velocities per drum? Does anyone actually use more than 2 or 3? I'm trying to imagine a practical use for them.
1) Combine them to make one huge and full sounding sample (or just mix a couple together to get the precise sound you want)
2) Hmmm #2 I dunno?? Any ideas?

Not that I don't appreciate links to free shit. I'm just curious.

Postby BYTE-Smasher » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:15 am

Well, presumably for realism... as each hit has a different timbre
<b>Come visit #renoise on irc.esper.net, the official Renoise channel, and chat with some real renoise gurus!</b>
/server irc.esper.net
/join #renoise

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:46 am

BYTE-Smasher wrote:Well, presumably for realism... as each hit has a different timbre

Ahahah, fair enough.... let me try to articulate a bit better... That much I get, but I was trying to ask something more specific. Yeah, in my books usually an effect achieved during the recording process (i.e. reverb, amp cabinet sound, dynamics/timbre changes, even distortion-- things that are commonly emulated by software) is preferable in my books to something done in the mixing/production stage of things. I was curious whether someone (especially a producer of "harsh electronica" [where dynamics are most typically affected with a fader, filter and reverb; being much less subtle and more in-your face]) might actually take the trouble to program so many different variations on a single hit in a single track? Another somewhat obvious answer is maybe assigning each one to it's own MIDI velocity range for a single MIDI note ... then drawing in the velocity curve in the sequencer. Also, might be cool to juxtapose that with the artifice of some impossibly fast notes, for example. Would have to be really exposed or the effect would be wasted. I'm literally asking... what would you do with 10 velocities on a snare hit in a given track?

Postby BYTE-Smasher » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 am

..... ask snares? :lol:
/server irc.esper.net
/join #renoise

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 pm

avisupchurch wrote: Also, might be cool to juxtapose that with the artifice of some impossibly fast notes, for example. Would have to be really exposed or the effect would be wasted.

Err, Whoops.... dumb idea :lol: impossibly fast = hypertone/extratone, whatever it's called... timbre wouldn't even matter... but with some really anal editing, could emulate something like a slower, more realistic roll.

..... ask snares? Laughing

Yeah I'm sure he'd love to share his ideas with us :lol:

Postby BYTE-Smasher » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:57 pm

From the Renoise forums:
Haha please don't try to sound like me, it makes me not want to sound like me.

Aaron

:p
/server irc.esper.net
/join #renoise

Breakcore Member

Postby ObedMarsh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 am

thanks for the links

n0Ob

Postby massive throne » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:11 am

cool links

n0Ob

Postby urban guerilla » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:14 pm

thanks homeslice

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:57 pm

avisupchurch wrote:Why would any producer need 10 different velocities per drum? Does anyone actually use more than 2 or 3? I'm trying to imagine a practical use for them.
1) Combine them to make one huge and full sounding sample (or just mix a couple together to get the precise sound you want)
2) Hmmm #2 I dunno?? Any ideas?

Not that I don't appreciate links to free shit. I'm just curious.

well, say you're playing an electronic drum kit that allows you to layer different sounds on the same pad, and also program what veloicty range each sample will play during. coulld get some seriously realistic dynamics like that.

n0Ob

Postby DesTrim » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:55 pm

thx for links. :wink:

Supah No0b

Postby tytus » Sun May 18, 2008 10:01 pm

yea me to i wanted to thanks for those links. i want to learn how to make music and i need resources like this.

Three Poster

Postby nicolash » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:37 am

if you want a long list of drum breaks go to www.the-breaks.com. Just search for drums in the search function - or the forum.

Supah No0b

Postby Rolo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Thank you for the links!

Next

Return to Drums