SECRETS TO GREAT DRUMS

Post links, share files, discuss drums. All things drums.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

what's your philosophy on the amen snare?

i use it in almost every track as my primary snare.
23%
i use it every once in a while.
46%
its overused and cliche. i use other snares.
31%

Total votes : 71
Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:15 pm

i start with a few drum loops/breaks. Usually at least 5, but sometimes more. Track i'm doing now uses 12. That's maybe 20-25 "octaves" of hits to use that term.

I never use processed breaks that have been made by someone else - they're fucking awful and bloody useless to me. I always start with original breaks either sampled from CD or Vinyl with no processing WHATSOEVER.

I take those breaks, pitch them correctly, timestretch to the same bpm then eq-match them using my wonder eq tool. Then compress them and chop them up.

They go straight into renoise where i start making breaks outta them. I make new breaks using little parts of each of the original breaks (outta my 20-odd octaves), sometimes combining 2 or 3 snares to make new sounds. I like to layer a kick with the same sample an octave down for an extra oomph. At this stage I'll make about 4 bars worth of stuff which will serve as the base for at least a chunk of the track. All of the song's drums are variations based on these originals.

I don't tend to use distorted gabba kicks unless it's a really obvious gabba track so for a poweful (but not intrusive) thump, I'll use a VSTi preset or something like "deep kick" in Junglist.

I'll crank the gain to max (0dB) and the let the auto volume limiter in Renoise normalise the signal if necessary. Then I turn the auto-vol-limit off and stick a 3dB (or so) gainer on the drum channel to give the drums some extra crunch and punch through the mix.

In some parts I'll switch a very tight delay on/off to create massive drum width (like on key snares etc).

In places I use volume slicing (set vol=0) on a hit to punctuate a break's rhythm cos sometimes it can sound a little messy - the slicing sort's it right out. Also, it sounds cool :)

You can create manic sounding drums by careful using some polyphonic drums but only after hits with long tails I find ... well use it sparingly anyway.

and a shitload of other stuff i cant be arsed to type anymore now
:p

n3wb

Postby ADJ » Wed May 07, 2008 1:06 pm

the amen snare is great to layer!

CoreCore Member

Postby 133crazydirector » Thu May 08, 2008 8:56 pm

weyheyhey !!
Much respect for your tutorial man! :)
I can't believe that you're using just breaks to do drumshitload of your crazy stuff))
I really like your music style, reminds me v.snares! :)
So it's helpfull tutorial, and especially about dat fucking renoise normalise)))
I can't get till now why this shit works -6db )
ohh hell :lol:
thx!)))

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby miskibaul » Thu May 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Leprechaun sauce, with a dash of rainbows!

trust me....pure win every time!

Postby Siphonaptera » Mon May 19, 2008 1:11 pm

I use Amen's but I also use a lot of self recorded samples as you can hear in the track I uploaded with my profile. I love the Amen sound combined with weird structures and chaotic spasms!

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Mon May 19, 2008 2:01 pm

133crazydirector wrote:weyheyhey !!
Much respect for your tutorial man! :)
I can't believe that you're using just breaks to do drumshitload of your crazy stuff))
I really like your music style, reminds me v.snares! :)
So it's helpfull tutorial, and especially about dat fucking renoise normalise)))
I can't get till now why this shit works -6db )
ohh hell :lol:
thx!)))

:)

Supah No0b

Postby adorno_1982 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:08 pm

really useful stuff here ... would anyone care to say anything about the manner of programming drums in? anyone swear by only ever playing beats in via midi (slowed down) so that natural velocities etc come out, or are people happy to pgrogramme strictly on the grid ... thks :)

n0Ob

Postby Pension_convention » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:19 am

I love programing a mess of drums leaving no silence then making a cleaner ballsier simple beat and side chaining it to the mess of drums, so the mess 'ducks' out from the cleaner beat. All of this with very small A and R. Add a touch of compression to the out put, cheers!

CoreCore Member

Postby Dj Doreetoh » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:59 pm

thats what i dont get about you folk that produce breakcore/breaky music howd you get the time to program nanoseconds of drums, and not have the computer flung out the window withing making about 10 seconds of a tune?
respect to those that do btw.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:43 pm

I believe it really depends on the program u use, you use ableton if i remember correctly?

Infa uses it now too, i believe its just getting the hang of it.

Ohyeah and most fuckers use dblue.

CoreCore Member

Postby Dj Doreetoh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:19 am

yep, i love breakcore but thats what put me off making it, i read a book about early dnb producers spending AGES getting their sounds right, and out came a 5 second loop :shock:

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Dj Doreetoh wrote:out came a 5 second loop :shock:

...which most of them looped into a 3-minute track :lol:

CoreCore Member

Postby 133crazydirector » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:39 am

I would like the term beefed or mashed haahah :lol:

n0Ob

Postby den&bass » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 pm

PEPCORE wrote:I believe it really depends on the program u use, you use ableton if i remember correctly?

Infa uses it now too, i believe its just getting the hang of it.

Ohyeah and most fuckers use dblue.

i want to get rid of it, in FL7, but dont succeed to trigger the slices fast enough and recreate the effects manually. or maybe i dont get completely what glitch can do for me : i dont understand how to control the variation innit (either its in random mode or i have 16 bars of various fx cycling, unless by loading tons of dblues in my fxs, wich would take too much CPU). what can i do?

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm

den&bass wrote:i want to get rid of it, in FL7, but dont succeed to trigger the slices fast enough and recreate the effects manually. or maybe i dont get completely what glitch can do for me : i dont understand how to control the variation innit (either its in random mode or i have 16 bars of various fx cycling, unless by loading tons of dblues in my fxs, wich would take too much CPU). what can i do?

Use automation. I'm sure dblue_glitch allows you to automate the parameters on each of its effects.

PreviousNext

Return to Drums