I need help with my drum programing...

Post links, share files, discuss breaks. All things breaks.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:09 pm

hey, glad it helped

theres not much really i could show, effect wise. sometimes i just use a random VST and see what I can get out of it. i wouldn't say there was anything 'common' in breakcore except for maybe these things:

snare/beat/whatever time-stretching (use the 09xx offset effect in renoise)
snare/beat/whatever pitching
volume slicing (in the demo i put up)
beat/snare 'rushes' or whatever you want to call it (when you stick a bunch of the same sample in a tight row and ramp the volume up from zero quickly).

n3wb

identical breaks

Postby Volor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:26 am

I'm trying to remake the break like you did from the original amen beat.
I noticed that the samples you used already have some effects on them (and pitched offc).Wich particular effects did you use on them?
Did you do it like johnmerrick explained (http://ihatebreakcore.com/modules.php?n ... topic&t=86) or did you use some other tweaks?

Also,how does one put effects on a sample in renoise and save it as a seperate sample wich include the effects?
I found out u can do this by the render selection function,but is this the only bway of doing it?

Thnx!

n3wb

Postby Volor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:23 pm

An attempt at remaking the sound of your amen crash:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zsktxq =>my amen crash
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zzlnd3 =>weyheyhey!! 's amen crash

Mine sounds more direct/cold,like a hit,while yours(weyheyhey) sounds more like a reversed drum hit sample and has a warmer feeling.
(1.)Wich effects did you use on it and (2.)do you have any tips in general how to make a beat sound more and less upfront?

Ow and you said "set row highlight to every 12 lines in renoise"
(3.)How does one reset the highlight?

V

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:52 pm

hey. only (pre) effect i used on the break is compression, which is a standard thing to do on your drums when producing. if you use adobe audition, load your break in and go to: Effects->Amplitude->Dynamics Processing and select the preset "power drums". apply that to your break and play around with the settings and should give you the sound you want. also it helps to visually compare the two hits in a wav editor like audition so you can 'see' what it needs to look like.

as for your crash, the first thing is that it doesn't have any compression, which makes a big difference. the other thing is that yours seems to be stereo or have some kind of delay .. this will reduce the 'power' of the hit. all of mine are in mono which essentially positions the sound dead centre of the listener, so it's more in-yer-face heh. generally, i create width in the mix from the other sounds (synths, vox).

row highlight is under Edit->Preferences->GUI->Pattern Font

n3wb

Postby Volor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:34 pm

wow,thnx.
with the highlight reset,things look way better now.
Problem is,I don't have adobe audition(i assume u have version 2?),but I do however have cubase sx3,don't know if itl do the trick though,ill try messin with the compression there.

Btw (1.)why can't i compress it in renoise itself(with the included compressor,or is that some other kind of compressor?) and render to selection?(so you don't have to go to the trouble of uploading it into a diffrent program each time)

also,you said "for your crash,the 1st thing is that it doesnt have any compression"=>(2.A)why isnt a compressor applied to a crash as well and
(2.B)are there any other drum hit types(eg ride,kick,...) that don't need compression either?
(I assume that the amount of compression aplied to a drum hit is diffrent with each drum hit type,if so,in wich measure relative to other hits?)

V

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:46 pm

hey

i only mentioned audition in case you had it and i could show you how to quickly compress something. you can use any program/vst you like.

you can compress it in renoise if you want. just stick a compressor on your drum track, i'm sure lots of people do this. i dont because i just think its unnecessary so i do it outside of renoise once. i like to keep the sequencing as simple as possible. this is just my preference, not a guideline...

2.A)why isnt a compressor applied to a crash as well

?? i don't know what you're saying..where did you get that idea from?! I was pointing out that it sounded like *yours* didn't have any compression when it *needs* it. When I talk about compression, i'm talking about the whole break; every snare, hi-hat, kick, crash, etc.

(2.B)are there any other drum hit types(eg ride,kick,...) that don't need compression either?

you should "treat" the break as a whole, otherwise it'll sound weird and crap.

maybe you should do a little reading up on compression :)

n3wb

Postby Volor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:09 pm

aha,ok

so compression is an effect you normally use for an entire whole loop/break.Are there any other effects like eq or distortion etc that are also used on the entire break?(1.)Could you give some sort of basic list wich effects are commonly(1.A)only applied to the entire break;
INSERT INTO `nuke_bbposts_text` VALUES (1.B)possibly used on the entire break and/or seperate samples in it and (1.C)only applied to separate hits?

I thought in breakcore,effects per (drum)sample often where very diffrent to create that typical breakcore/mashed up sound.

conclusion(??):So in sample-music( ^^ ),one applies a few BASIC effects wich creates a bond between diffrent samples (eg a compressor like you said in a break wich draws from eg the amen and the assembly line sample)
and then one also applies specific effects to certain samples,to make them stand out,to bring variety etc.?

V

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Volor wrote:aha,ok

so compression is an effect you normally use for an entire whole loop/break.Are there any other effects like eq or distortion etc that are also used on the entire break?(1.)Could you give some sort of basic list wich effects are commonly(1.A)only applied to the entire break;
INSERT INTO `nuke_bbposts_text` VALUES (1.B)possibly used on the entire break and/or seperate samples in it and (1.C)only applied to separate hits?

I thought in breakcore,effects per (drum)sample often where very diffrent to create that typical breakcore/mashed up sound.

conclusion(??):So in sample-music( ^^ ),one applies a few BASIC effects wich creates a bond between diffrent samples (eg a compressor like you said in a break wich draws from eg the amen and the assembly line sample)
and then one also applies specific effects to certain samples,to make them stand out,to bring variety etc.?

V

kinda.

you're talking about two different concepts:

1) general production good practices - 'cleaning' the break up, applying compression and EQing, maybe a couple of other things I can't think of right now. This is standard stuff when producing most forms of music, not just "breakcore". This is what I did to the break I gave you.

2) The creative stuff - distortion, delay, reverb, different effects on different hits, time-stretches, phase, flange, panning etc etc etc.

there are no standard effects in "breakcore" music (which is what makes it so rad) other than what i already said earlier:
snare/beat/whatever time-stretching (use the 09xx offset effect in renoise)
snare/beat/whatever pitching
volume slicing (in the demo i put up)
beat/snare 'rushes' or whatever you want to call it (when you stick a bunch of the same sample in a tight row and ramp the volume up from zero quickly).

most people just get a cool vst and just play with it. I doubt most people have time to apply different effects to every hit .. it would take forever, i certainly don't do it. You'll be surprised at how random+mashed stuff can sound with using those simple things above, and automating parameters on a vst.

also, you don't have to use the same break for the whole track. try using like .. the amen break with another break , like switching between them...

basically, just experiment.

n3wb

Postby Volor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:52 pm

thnx,weyheyhey : )

Postby Headphoner » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:15 pm

This doesn't seem to work for me... can anyone help me out? Apparently it can't be opened with my copy of renoise?

n3wb

Postby Volor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:31 pm

dunno,might be cos u have the demo version?
if not i don't know what the problem could be

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Headphoner wrote:This doesn't seem to work for me... can anyone help me out? Apparently it can't be opened with my copy of renoise?

requires Renoise 1.8 or above

Hardcore Member

Re: I need help with my drum programing...

Postby helix » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:47 am

ClarinetCore wrote:Hey guys,

I feel like I need some tips for how to program drums. I try to get them really fast, (Like, Venetian Snares fast) but when I try to make it, it ends up sounding like crappy mashed up drums. It seems like my rhythm just isn't fluid enough, you know?

When I listen to Venetian, even though the beat is like 400+ bpm, I can hear and follow the rhythm. I want to get it up to somewhere of that standard. One artist I can think of on this website that gets very close to Venetian Snares is Helix. I do like his style. So any tips or perhaps even tutorials would be awesome. :D By the way, I use Renoise. :P

K, thnx, bie!

cheers man!! i use acid pro to mash up my drums, and ableton fx, been tryin to get into renoise but im just not as fast with it yet so i dont use it very often,

Postby dasoner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:32 am

weyheyhey !! can u pls upload that demo file again ? it seems that the file is missing :(
oug.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/badtoshio">badtoshio</a>

n3wb

Postby trebushet » Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 pm

yeah...file ist down(

PreviousNext

Return to Breaks