Problems with clipping, Get your fix here..

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

Problems with clipping, Get your fix here..

Postby SNM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:07 am

I know we've all had this problem before...

You're bout 2/3 of the way finished with your massive 60odd channel track, you've layered so many EFX that your tune is nao giving your CPU a coughing fit its clipping so much, and every time you go to work on finishing it up, you cant even properly listen to it in you arrangement view.
Several years ago I used to just export the whole thing to my desktop and listen to it on my media player, and edit the tune from there. But lets be honest here, this is no way to go about it. Hell there is such a stifling upon creativity with this approach.

Enter the master stroke...

Take all those EFX heavy channels, the ones that are eating up all your CPU processing capabilities. And single them out. Grab em up one at a time and export them into single .wav's. Like your making your own sample pack. Nao go back into your project and delete them or turn them off. Drag drop you previously exported sample into your mix. Nao its just a sound no EFX laden burden on your processor or soundcard. Your CPU usage meter drops down, and voila no more clipping. You are nao free to finish up that starwarsesque track free of irritating chops and stutters

8)
<a href="http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/xz4iis/?action=view&current=SNM_banniere_MR.jpg"></a>

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm

wouldn't "freezing" the cpu-heavy tracks do the same thing?

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 am

frozen as in not changing.. the fx are still taking up juice.. no?

Hardcore Member

Postby Sense of Direction » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 am

Limiter or compressor on mixer maybe? :P

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:28 am

SweetPeaPod wrote:frozen as in not changing.. the fx are still taking up juice.. no?

I think he means this.

I don't know how it works with other programs, but in FL you can smart disable every plugin, this sort of means that after a certain set of seconds of the effect not being used it (smart) disables the plugin until it is used again in your song, thus really helping with cpu intensive projects where you have a lot of sick plugins.

See pic:

You can also do it for all the plugins in your project.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAq6GvUXUk

But you shouldn't do it on all effects. Long reveerbs and delays are not
suitable for this.

Seeing as it cuts the plugin after a certain set of seconds after it being triggered(for example like a note in the piano roll)

So when you have a long delay or reveerb it cuts the effect after a certain set of seconds(when its still in effect), you obviously do not want this.

I don't know if other programs also have a feature like this but fl does so others probably have it also.

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm

SweetPeaPod wrote:frozen as in not changing.. the fx are still taking up juice.. no?

I thought when you "freeze" a channel your daw does all the processing pre-emptively and then just plays the channel as is during playback, thus freeing up CPU

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:03 pm

I usaully freeze and then flatten the most fxheavy tracks, that usually does the trick and you then have the track in audio instead of midi. Otherwise ableton has an awesome option for resampling.

Return to Tutorials