How do I make this kind of bass?

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

How do I make this kind of bass?

Postby iconochasm » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:01 am

Hey all, I'm pretty new to actually making my own synth/bass instead of just using presets so just bear with me.
I'm wondering how to make the kind of bass heard here, most noticeably at 1:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9DRo3eFJUg
I've heard it used by artists like VSnares, Rotator, Mu-Ziq, etc.
Sounds Juno-ish to me, and I'm going to feel retarded if that's what it is.

tl;dr, link, 1:30, bass, how to achieve that sound.

kthxbai :D

Postby ErotiCore SteNch » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:40 pm

the infamous wobble

Hardcore Member

Postby DJ Dijitol Junkey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:33 pm

try youtube. dub step bass, wobble bass. anything like that. it's really easy to do actually.

Postby iconochasm » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:37 pm

see it sounds a bit different than just a standard wobble to me,
the cutoff automation isn't so regimented, like it doesn't have a steady beat so much.
Idk. I think making a reese and adding filters and automating them will probably work.
oh and pitch bending.

Hardcore Member

Postby DJ Dijitol Junkey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:59 am

You can modulate the oscillator with a knob as apposed to having it be restricted by the BPM with Massive. It actually defaults to this I think.

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:29 am

best way to go about it

step 1 make a reese synth if yo do not know how to make a reese synth take 2 ocilators set them to saw wav, slightly detune one of the oscillators pitch till you get a satisfide with the way the pitch modulates the speed at your lowest desired note

step 2 add distortion, preferably multiband distorion, separate the lows from 0 hz-400 or to where you hear a pure sub, mids in between that should be from your lows to about 400hz-1,500k and highs are 1,500khz-160ookhz
note. don't distort the low end, the sub part, that's were your bass comes i and you need that

step 3 eq compress bounce to wav and try repeating the process till you get something dirty

step 4 play some random notes, porta your notes and make them mono so your bends kinda linger a lil. cut the note that you fancy as a bassline and then split the frequencies from low to mids to highs. and throw them in a sequencer

modulate the mids and highs with what ever desired effect you like but don't fuck with the low, bus the mids and highs to the same channel and add a bipass filter and sweep away.
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Postby iconochasm » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:07 am

what exactly do you mean by making it a wav?
like, just play say a middle C, export it, then sample it and alter it further?
I'm also a little lost about the cutting and splitting in step 4.
I feel like I'm being a total pain in the ass '''._.

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:42 am

multiband splitting, is where you separate your sample intp 3 low end mids and high. the best way to go about it is cloning your sample 2 times so that you have 3, then adding filters.

i suggest using a frequency analyzer for this

and wav, i just assumed that everyone bounced thier stuff to wav.
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:23 am

producer_snafu wrote:best way to go about it

step 1 make a reese synth if yo do not know how to make a reese synth take 2 ocilators set them to saw wav, slightly detune one of the oscillators pitch till you get a satisfide with the way the pitch modulates the speed at your lowest desired note

step 2 add distortion, preferably multiband distorion, separate the lows from 0 hz-400 or to where you hear a pure sub, mids in between that should be from your lows to about 400hz-1,500k and highs are 1,500khz-160ookhz
note. don't distort the low end, the sub part, that's were your bass comes i and you need that

step 3 eq compress bounce to wav and try repeating the process till you get something dirty

step 4 play some random notes, porta your notes and make them mono so your bends kinda linger a lil. cut the note that you fancy as a bassline and then split the frequencies from low to mids to highs. and throw them in a sequencer

modulate the mids and highs with what ever desired effect you like but don't fuck with the low, bus the mids and highs to the same channel and add a bipass filter and sweep away.

A nice, this was pretty helpfull, i have a lot to learn :(

Supah No0b

Postby Dalever » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 pm

hehe nice ill try it to not my style but i like it

Postby iconochasm » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 pm

producer_snafu wrote:
and wav, i just assumed that everyone bounced thier stuff to wav.

But was I right about what I said? Sample a middle C?

Return to Tutorials