How to mix/correct/improve my sound.

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

How to mix/correct/improve my sound.

Postby jimmusician » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Hey guys,
I know I left a similar thread way back on this, but this is related to a different issue I have now.

For a while I've been talking to/previewing my tracks to a friend of mine over the net who does audio producing. Actually prettymuch since I started. Anyways, I remember he'd always be busting my tracks because I used FL Studio (I know, typical BS) and I never really had too much of an idea of what he was talking about. That is, until I turned off my Toshiba Virtual Sound features (the surround sound) which I prettymuch never touched after I adjusted them while listening to my mp3s on it (as it was how I would usually listen to my music).

Anyways, I turned off the Toshiba Virtual Sound to find that where I originally thought things sounded brilliant, polished, and clear, Now I'm hearing tracks that are pretty nasty, overbassy, and sometimes totally unclear.

Has anyone had this experience? Does anyone know what advice to offer me? Are there good tips for mixing? I seriously need help, and for all FL studio haters, sorry, I can't switch.

n3wb

Postby popejagged » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 am

I know this is an old thread and probably irrelevant by now, but I'll post anyways. I have had the same problem. I don't know if thats related to fl or not, but likely is the case. I've noticed that correcting this takes multiple vst's to enhance the sound and a whole lot of mixing/compression and even reverb to take place. More than I truly care to deal with, but likewise I don't have the option of switching. Moreover, it doesn't matter what you use, things sound different through different speakers. Though some may sound better, the sound quality will change durastically depending on where you play it. I have definitely found however that to make a better track, you have to focus intently on the individual sounds moreso than the complexity of the music. Not my usual cup of tea, but well worth it. Long story short, I just discovered the importance of these things and won't have any new tracks for a while until I've mastered this to a fine point.

Hardcore Member

Postby jimmusician » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 am

one thing about fl 8 that particularly pisses me off is sometimes like the stock vsts, when used with the limiter, will have this crescendo-ing effect as tho the volume is rising even tho you set it with something flat like.........0 attack, 10 decay, 10 sustain.

update on my part: apparently speakers play a much bigger role than i thought. i spent months trying to sound bigger, bassier, etc. well, i burned a cd of my stuff, popped it into my car, and nearly blew the fucking speakers out! it was amazing! but yea, the limiter thing is pissing me off, i'm considering just main compressing with fl studio standard compressor, and doing up everything else. oh, and the circular panning feature in the project settings is gay.

Hardcore Member

Postby jimmusician » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 am

one thing about fl 8 that particularly pisses me off is sometimes like the stock vsts, when used with the limiter, will have this crescendo-ing effect as tho the volume is rising even tho you set it with something flat like.........0 attack, 10 decay, 10 sustain.

update on my part: apparently speakers play a much bigger role than i thought. i spent months trying to sound bigger, bassier, etc. well, i burned a cd of my stuff, popped it into my car, and nearly blew the fucking speakers out! it was amazing! but yea, the limiter thing is pissing me off, i'm considering just main compressing with fl studio standard compressor, and doing up everything else. oh, and the circular panning feature in the project settings is gay.

Hardcore Member

Postby jimmusician » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:56 am

N0oO0obZoR

Postby Flyingape » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:53 am

I use FL 9 and It's awesome. Don't have a problem with making it too bassy or anything.
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/BinaryCancer?sk=app_178091127385">Check out my music! Up for a good laugh? Clickadalinka!</a>

Return to Tutorials