How to write a breakdown...

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

How to write a breakdown...

Postby jimmusician » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:10 am

I want to learn how to write breakdowns similar to what today's hardcore bands do, but I don't know how to translate it into fl studio. What would I do? Compose parts double the standard length? If someone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Breakcore Member

Postby the_machine » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:49 am

jes most breakdowns are stacato riffs half time. so make everything twice as long as usual.
often the kickdrum follows the guitar stabs and there is a crash on every two beats with a snare on the 3rd.

just download guitar pro and look up some guitar pro tabs from hatebreed or so on ultimate-guitar.com
"Viel von sich reden kann auch ein Mittel sein, sich zu verbergen"

Hardcore Member

Postby jimmusician » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:41 pm

ha, ok, I'll see if my computer can actually run it. But double length rhythms. sounds like a start.

Now just a question or two more......

How do I make drum rhythms like this dude?
http://www.myspace.com/theyallhadtentacles

I'm not sure what type of jazz drumming (I'm shooting in the dark here) it is, but I hear it done sporadically by math-rock bands.

Anyone know where I can find good drum pattern books/tabs/instructions?

Breakcore Member

Postby the_machine » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:58 pm

start by teaching yourself some basic music theory. then forget everything you've learned and make polyrythmic stuff in weird measures like 9/16 or 9/8
or just steal the beats. don't be lazy!!
how to make them sound like that? how bout you download ezdrummer and drum kit from hell and use a gabber kick as kickdrum. ..
"Viel von sich reden kann auch ein Mittel sein, sich zu verbergen"

Return to Tutorials