Transformers FX

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

Transformers FX

Postby Gazmatic » Sat May 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Does anyone here know how to make the transforming sound from the old skool Transformers series? Im in the mood for some robotnickore spankerage.......

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

The Transform sound begins as an 8 hz pulse repeated five times for 0.7 seconds each repeat whose pitch can be represented by the absolute value of a declining sine wave, with each zero-to-zero arc of the wave representing one of five cycles of the repetition. The actual value of the sine wave can be modified by factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y value, which means that although the actual pitch is largely indefinite, in analog terms when the transform pitch is higher the length of each pulse is shorter, and conversely when the pitch is lower the length of each pulse is longer." Other fans have noted that the sound generally increases in pitch when changing to robot mode and gets lower when changing to their alt-mode.
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Hardcore Member

Postby Gazmatic » Sun May 17, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks! nice theory basis, sorta see how it works.
Right, how can I get this idea onto my track? Any particular VSTs that can be of help (preferably freeware as im a tight git)? Any more tips that I can use with the method stated?
Ive sorta got an idea for glitching-up the sample wether thatd sound pukka or not. Ill jus have to see.......

Hardcore Member

Postby Warpsmasher » Sun May 17, 2009 5:08 pm

producer_snafu wrote:factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y
:roll: Whatever. You should wrap that in a quote tag if you're going to yank it off some other site.
http://everything2.com/title/the%2520tr ... %2520sound

As for VSTs, try Roboticize.
Time-stretch also has a similar effect, if you stretch it far enough.

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Mon May 18, 2009 2:54 am

Warpsmasher wrote:
producer_snafu wrote:factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y
:roll: Whatever. You should wrap that in a quote tag if you're going to yank it off some other site.

wasn't really trying to take credit for it, that quote was taking from a forum, not that actual site, i just thought it sounded nerdy as fuck, i don't even talk like that

Hardcore Member

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon May 18, 2009 6:24 am

Nobody's that nerdy, that's why I figured it couldn't be you...

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:Nobody's that nerdy, that's why I figured it couldn't be you...

ha werd, all i know is that i hear some filtering that could either be bandpass or highpass

Hardcore Member

Postby Gazmatic » Sat May 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:

Kool VST site btw, im sure this will help me. Thanx for the advice everyone!
****Fact into doubt doesnt go. Its not scientifically proven, but it IS fact****

Supah No0b

Postby circadian » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:

That site is badass. Got quite a few VSTs from there and can't wait to try them out.

Supah No0b

Postby zpel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:17 pm

nice stuff

Three Poster

Postby aglie80 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 am

fucking nice

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:54 am

producer_snafu wrote:The Transform sound begins as an 8 hz pulse repeated five times for 0.7 seconds each repeat whose pitch can be represented by the absolute value of a declining sine wave, with each zero-to-zero arc of the wave representing one of five cycles of the repetition. The actual value of the sine wave can be modified by factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y value, which means that although the actual pitch is largely indefinite, in analog terms when the transform pitch is higher the length of each pulse is shorter, and conversely when the pitch is lower the length of each pulse is longer." Other fans have noted that the sound generally increases in pitch when changing to robot mode and gets lower when changing to their alt-mode.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do you apply this in practise?

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:15 am

producer_snafu wrote:The Transform sound begins as an 8 hz pulse repeated five times for 0.7 seconds each repeat whose pitch can be represented by the absolute value of a declining sine wave, with each zero-to-zero arc of the wave representing one of five cycles of the repetition. The actual value of the sine wave can be modified by factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y value, which means that although the actual pitch is largely indefinite, in analog terms when the transform pitch is higher the length of each pulse is shorter, and conversely when the pitch is lower the length of each pulse is longer." Other fans have noted that the sound generally increases in pitch when changing to robot mode and gets lower when changing to their alt-mode.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but how do you apply this in practise?

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 am

hahah, dude, i wasn't even serious, i forgot where i googled this and copied it from.

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 pm

haha i got that but i just wondered if you or anyone knew how to apply it to practise :P

btw OT would you like to collab some time?

Next

Return to Tutorials