How did you start of making your stuff.

How-To's written by members of this site... Don't know how to do it? Stop crying and read.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

How did you start of making your stuff.

Postby ||Seba|| » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:28 pm

How did you start of making your stuff and how are you doing now?
With what gear did you start software/hardware and how did you evolved?
What style of music do you make?

I'm a newbie.
Just started a few days ago.
I'm gonna try to make breakcore/ragga.

My gear is my laptop + Ableton Live 7.
My guitar rig (that I want to for samples):
- Guitars: Ibanez SG 1971, Epiphone Les Paul Custom
- Amps: Fender FM 212, Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary
- Effects: EH Big Muff, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Metal Zone, Boss Turbo Distortion, Boss Super Overdrive. (for now)

If you have tips & tricks you can put them here for people like me who just started off.

Thanx

Supah No0b

Postby breeku » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 am

Seba,

there are so many ways to produce Breakcore, be creative,

I use renoise, i use reason to create or fatten up samples.
Gear; Keyboard and mouse.

Go visit youtube and watch alot of tutorials.

Three Poster

Postby andythecorpse » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I started playing with my micro korg and just my eletric Roland set, editing and chopping the parts with audacity, then I was introduced to the FL demo, and finnally got the whole program. I am still knew and am learning alot, so far this site has been a great help, cant wait to start downloading and chopping! :twisted:

n0Ob

Postby dthhand5 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:16 am

I am still pretty new with getting my breakcore right, but I just punched some f*cked up drum breaks into Renoise and added some samples to keep it from drums alone, 'cause that would be crap.

Hardcore Member

Postby epilektric » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 pm

Things change man. Your gear will evolve over time as you develop a method, style and preferences. My first few setups didn't have much for sampling and it was the one thing I wished I had. It just took me a long time to figure that out.

1st setup: Roland R8 drum machine, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-5, Tascam 4-Track tape deck.

2nd setup, (notably worse): Boss DR-550 drum machine, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-5, Dual Cassette Deck (I'd overdub to build layers).

3rd setup: Korg Trinity w/ Prophecy solo synth card, Juno 106, Yamaha RM1X, Roland JP-8080, 22 channel desk and rack mount effects.

4th setup: My computer with various software.

Supah No0b

Postby imabadrobot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:44 pm

i started out using Acid,then moved onto Fruityloops,Cubase,Ableton and some various Dj software and vast amounts of VST plugins. There are many ways to go about it,music theory is suggested too, at least the basics. Stick to learning a DAW program cuz it can take a bit to learn new software if you decide to switch over to a different DAW.

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 pm

you can make wicked stuff with ableton live. If you feel comfortable with the way it works, stick with it for a while.

learn about EQing. learn about EQing. learn about EQing.

CoreCore Member
Average track rating:
3.0/5 out of 1 votes

Postby kowalczyk » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 am

I started beatboxing when I was 11. When I was 12 I started playing drums. A year later I got my MacBook and played around with GarageBand (I still use it from time to time). Now I use Reason. And next week I'm getting a MIDI-keyboard.

Three Poster

Postby shotintoeternity » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Started off using Hammerhead and recording my synth (Alesis QS6 with a couple of broken keys) through a shitty computer mic. Eventually moved up to using Renoise, FL Studio, still Hammerhead (but making new HUBs just because I'm so damn familiar with the interface), and Audacity. I'm also getting a lot of use out of Audiomulch and Plogue Bidule.

Hardcore Member

Postby epilektric » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:07 am

I'm old as dirt. Obviously. As evidenced by my previous post.
I used to play just the black keys of my mom's piano. I used to make recordings of recordings on my tape deck to build up layers. You n00bs don't know how easy you have it with all this computer stuff. In my day I would have killed for a 4-track tape deck.

Hardcore Member

Postby SeveredDigit » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:44 pm

IMPULSE TRACKER AND BUZZTRACKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I use all the new stuff + hardware......Still use impulse tracker now and again....love those retriggers!!!
Http://www.severeddigit.ca

Breakcore.Noise.IDM.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby kosmonavt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 pm

i started out making my music because a friend of mine made MIDI songs. I started with Fruity loops and i still use it lol

that friend uses FL now too, because of me lol

n0Ob

The story of my life (sarcasm)

Postby MLT » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:22 am

I started out with Acoustica Beatcraft, just distorted drums and stuff, a bit speedcoreish.
After a while I got bored with it and got myself Cool Edit Pro, a MFX pedal a mixer and some mics.
still making speedcore.
After a while I started experimenting in cool edit pro, chopping up breaks, adding lots of sampes and editing them, that kind of stuff.
At this moment I didn't realise the importance of equalizing, mixing and mastering.
After a while of working in this setup I realized I was to limited and started looking for a new program.
At first I came out on Cubase, I tried lots of stuff and failed, I realized this wasn't the right program for me.
I took a break for about 5 months and lost my confidence in the ability of making music.
Then I bumped in to an old friend and we talked for a while, he told be about Fruity Loops.
This was.. 2 months ago.
We got to his place and he showed some of the stuff he made, I was familiar with programming in the way of fruity loop, and I started messing around for a while on his fruity loops.
I finally found the right program for me.
After 2 weeks I got myself a copy of fruity loops downloaded tons of plugins, and started composing.
I still felt I was lacking in some things as composing basslines, melodies, leads that kind of stuff.
I got in touch with a guy who was new to fruity loops, but plays guitar and has great skills in composing melody's, we teamed up and came up with a new project called Minds Locked Together.
We are currently working on some sort of a demo and I think it's going pretty well.
My myspace is posted in another section of this forum for those who are interested.

How I came to create breakbeat music?
I am a drummer, for about 7 years now.
I'm obsessed with drums, breaks, fills, percussion.
All day long I hear these beats in my head, I just had to write them down.
Some of them, ofcourse are impossible to write out unfortunatly.
I found out about breakcore and started listening to it more and more.
After a while of listening to it, I felt the urge to try and make something of my own. And that's how I started
I now try to involve as many styles in to my music as possible.
From jazz, to metal, to classical music, you name it.
Well that's my 'lil story.

I'm currently writing a tutorial on the philosophy of making music, explaining my look on music and the way I make songs, not talking about any programming or vst usage or anything like that. It's purely about what happens in you mind and the way I look at things and stuff.
I will post it here when it's done.
I feel the void overtaking me, it is a good pain.

Hardcore Member

Postby Perceptiko » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:45 am

Postby zacharybcollins » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:04 pm

I started with an old single track mono tape recorder, a broken tape deck that could only record, a shitty guitar, and a yamaha learning keyboard. Since then I've gotten a Tascam 4-track, an Akai S900, a Behringer Eurorack mixer, an eight channel mixer with built in spring 'verb from the 70s (can't remember the brand oddly enough), a few circuit bent things, an Alesis SR-16, a Whippany Electronics Analog Rhythm Master, various noise makers, a djembe, an old hand-me down console stereo I use to play records into my Akai, a reel-to-reel I use for tape loops, and some other odds and ends. As for computer I use FL studio 8 XXL (pirate bay), Plogue Bidule, Audiomulch, Audacity, and Renoise. Bidule and Audiomulch are just for effects when I'm doing noise or whatever. I do most of my work in FL Studio because I'm not cool enough to hate it.

Next

Return to Tutorials