CD DJ's

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

CD DJ's

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:03 am

I've been looking lately for a good and reliable cdj player and mixer, price is an issue but if you feel strongly about a product taht is expensive say it anyway. Thank you.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 am

Pioneer CDJ-1000 hands down... anything else is a complete joke, no joking.

I've been using a pair of them with a DJM-600 for a few years now and, even after playing on many other CD players, I can still say that for stability, quality and functionality, you cannot go wrong with these joints.

hue-e
[ www.destroyer.net | www.usjungle.net | www.devilmusicmusic.com | www.hue-e.com - austin, tx]

**DUMPSTER DUO w/ HUE-E & ALAN**
LIVE ON www.destroyer.net/radio
EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:40 am

haha, the 1,300 usd price tag for a new one is a bit daunting..but who nkows

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:12 am

i have two numark cdx's and they are way better if you have ever touched real vinyl in your life (im not saying you havent.) they are way better for scratching and beat matching. the only problem with them is making sure they work all the time.

in my opinion, cd-based turntables are a thing of the past and things like serato and traktor are the ways of the future. it seems to me that most of the dj shows i go to, they're all combining vinyl with laptop-based djing.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:36 am

re: price... you get what you pay for, spend the extra few bucks

re: numark.. yeah, I've used them, they suck imo. I started as a good ole regular vinyl dj, and I still stand by the pioneers. I also know a few turntablists that will stand by them over anything else on the market.
hue-e
[ www.destroyer.net | www.usjungle.net | www.devilmusicmusic.com | www.hue-e.com - austin, tx]

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:39 am

oh, and with regards to new technology... I use one of these now.

honestly, they work very similarly to the CDJ-1000s... I've been able to do some pretty cool shit with these, everything I was able to do on 1200s, and CDJ-1000s, and a bit more... I highly recommend buying one if you like to dj at all.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:55 pm

^^^^
what he said

if you want the cdj's and are gonna put em through a mixer, I recommend rane, pioneer, or allan and heath, with rane being my favorite.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Alan_ wrote:^^^^
what he said

if you want the cdj's and are gonna put em through a mixer, I recommend rane, pioneer, or allan and heath, with rane being my favorite.

yeah rane ttm56 is the best 2 channel mixer you can get for just about every kind of djing.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Rane is a great mixer, moreso if you're a scratch dj. The only thing I hate about it is the connector to plug in your power, they basically used a phone jack plug. After a bit of use it doesnt like to stay in it's little port anymore so you'd have to get some tape to keep it in there.

If you're just mixing and want more options with ease of use and some effects, I'd go for the Pioneer DJM-600. I have one of these and love it, it's a no-bullshit mixer with lots of options and nice big knobs for when you're in a dark club, etc.

A step further then that would be the Allen/Heath 4 or 6 channel mixers. Keep in mind that with A/H mixers, they are more for studio work... they have an extra midrange eq knob and a bunch of other options for fine tuning sound, and you have more control over the filter effects. The only thing I really didnt like about these over the Pioneers is how cheap the faders felt, primarily the xfader.... other then that, it's solid for sure, it's just a little overwhelming when you first look at it.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:26 pm

wow, thanks for the feedback! After doing a little research as to what exactly I want to do with , " turntables" I think serato or the like and a controler will do me quite well. If anyone has any other suggestions, please leave them.

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:55 pm

Actualy, before I ask for suggestions I think it would ddo everyone good if I told everyone what I would like to do. Basicly what I intend to do is have two cd's or Mp3s or what have you that are purely breakbeats or just drums and mixing,manipulating, juggling those; and on a 3rd channel I would bring in samples and other tracks. Based on that Is this possible with a 3 channel mixer and two CD DJ's? or would I be better off with traktor or serato and a control surface? sorry for the double post, your feedback is apprieciated.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:17 pm

traktor allows you to have four turntables. you can basically use any controller you want for it, as well as most of the other dj softwares.

serato is cool, but m-audio also makes the connectiv, which uses the encoded vinyl, and has an encoded CD option. it uses torq, which is pretty decent software in it's own right.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

thanks hue-e. between traktor and serato which have you personaly had a better expierence with?

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:01 pm

I've only used both of those a little bit so I really can't compare the two that much other then Traktor has 4 turntables and is totally programable with any controller, or FinalScratch/Serato/Connectiv encoded vinyl setup. And I believe you can use VSTs for effects modules.

Serato basically uses Scratch Live, developed by Rane. I like the way the file browsing works, But I'm not sure about the 4 TT setup or if it even has any effects, or vst support.

I use Torq with the Xponent (posted above), which can also be run by the Connective setup.

I've been using this program and I love it. The file browsing kind of sucks, but as far as usability with the xponent or the encoded vinyl, there are some pretty cool things that you can do with it right out of the box. and it comes with a sampler in the software that's easily assignable with just about any usb/midi controller like the finger trigger or keyboard. It has built in effects that I really haven't messed with that much. And, I'm not sure about VST support as I've never really messed with them to begin with.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:13 pm

ok thank you, one last question though. If I had torq and that M-audio thing would I need a seperate surface controller?

Next

Return to Hardware