CD DJ's

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:25 pm

out of the box, torq runs with the xponent right away. there's no setup other then installing the software. hell, torq wont even open up unless you got the xponent plugged in. however, there's "midi learn" option in torq so whatever else you have plugged into your lappy, it will recognize... basically you right click on what you want to trigger, then hit the key, button or knob on your controller (other then xponent) and you're set to go.

oh, and I should mention torq has itunes playlist support.
hue-e
[ www.destroyer.net | www.usjungle.net | www.devilmusicmusic.com | www.hue-e.com - austin, tx]

**DUMPSTER DUO w/ HUE-E & ALAN**
LIVE ON www.destroyer.net/radio
EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 am

something im gonna have to seriously consider, thanks again hue-e!

CoreCore Member

Postby somebedroomdj » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:45 pm

I just got torq yesterday, but with connectiv instead of xponent and I can already say that this will change everything for me. I can now rock doubles of every record I own. I was surprised that for $200 it really does feel just like vinyl. I can make backing beats on my mc-307 and play it just like a record. I can record scratch tones using my voice and scratch them just like vinyl.

I know this technology has been around for a while now, but I never really gave it a serious thought until now. It's got me all giddy. lol I was always a vinyl purist but I can now say that I truly am converted. Best $200 I ever spent.

Pwncall Member

Postby the shallow stairs » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:52 am

ok so for the breaks dj vinyl or cd, what i wanted to do was have break beats and drum beats playing on my laptop, then have a melody on either a cd dj or vinyl turntable and scratch it, so the big question vinyl or cd?

(please respond soon cause i hope to buy it tomorrow or the day after) :twisted:
http://www.myspace.com/rejectionprojectmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rejectionproject

art holiday and the shallow stairs are rejection project!

CoreCore Member

Postby somebedroomdj » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 am

Go with vinyl for scratching and expand it with a DVS to do any digital stuff you want to do. For any CD player that can satisfactorily emulate scratching, you'll be dropping at least $800 per deck. You can find used technics for $200 or less and then add Torq for $200 or Serato or Ableton for more $500. Best of both worlds.

Pwncall Member

Postby the shallow stairs » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:02 pm

http://www.myspace.com/rejectionprojectmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rejectionproject

art holiday and the shallow stairs are rejection project!

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:07 pm

keep in mind that torq has a built in sampler. It has ten sample slots. I plan on using a finger trigger or my roland vdrum with it for a variety of kicks and snares. So I'll be able to use just torq.

also, the xpoonent (mistype, but funny) has loads of looping features as well as easily sets up hot cues so you could essentially build a drum kit from the songs you're playing on the fly.

alan and I have been doing such things for a few weeks now and we've really taken a regular dj set to the next level... actually feels more like performance djing.
hue-e
[ www.destroyer.net | www.usjungle.net | www.devilmusicmusic.com | www.hue-e.com - austin, tx]

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby somebedroomdj » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:20 pm

Yeah, I haven't gotten into sampling with it yet, but the looping is sooooo easy. Time it right and you can build a nice snare rush on the fly. I just cut it to 1 bar and then click the 1 a few more times and you've got a single drum hit repeating. Then use the buttons for offset to slide 1 beat forward or backward in realtime. With a decent midi interface and a pitch up/down effect, this could be devastating. For me, this is the kind of thing that really makes djing fun again. Endless possibilities!

Another advantage with torq connectiv is that it is also a pretty decent soundcard that you can use with all your other applications. I'm using it to rip all my vinyl to wav and it sounds crystal clear. Now I just need to convince myself that I shouldn't sell all my vinyl...

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:43 pm

re: selling vinyl... yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm also having hard time not wanting to sell my turntables. I'm pretty sure I'll keep them just because, at this point, i have three generations of DJing technology that I'm sure I'll want to use at some point... perhaps get back into scratching with good ole fashion wax while using the xponent.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:39 pm

hue-e wrote:out of the box, torq runs with the xponent right away. there's no setup other then installing the software. hell, torq wont even open up unless you got the xponent plugged in. however, there's "midi learn" option in torq so whatever else you have plugged into your lappy, it will recognize... basically you right click on what you want to trigger, then hit the key, button or knob on your controller (other then xponent) and you're set to go.

oh, and I should mention torq has itunes playlist support.

This thing is actually sounding like the best thing ever! I'm so tempted to buy one but I really should stop spending money on things I have no idea how to use...

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm

If you know how to use a cdj, it's the easiest thing in the world to pick up evar.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:06 pm

before you buy the xponent... I should mention the only real gripe I have about it, and this only matters if you want to scratch a little...

there is no curve adjustment for the xfader. this doesn't mean the software won't get updated in the future, but for right now, the fader has a gradual slope instead of a sharp cut.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:15 pm

shit, nevermind... I just went to the torq messageboard and it has instructions on how to adjust the curve of the crossfader.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:19 pm

lol, that thing is so awesome it makes me wanna jump around and fling poo like a little monkey.

Pwncall Member

Postby hue-e » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:29 pm

lol... well, by the time we get back to doing the radio show, I'll probably have the finger trigger or the vdrums hooked up to it and ready to play while one of us mixes.
hue-e

EVERY TUESDAY, 6-8PM CST

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware