relatively cheap but good PC speakers?

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

relatively cheap but good PC speakers?

Postby avisupchurch » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:11 pm

I'm looking to get some decent speakers (read: cheap substitutes for actual monitors) for my home so I can work there on my projects and have a somewhat-reasonable playback system without having to use headphones... I am looking to spend about $100 (US), no more than 150... anyone have ideas or advice about something that may be useful? Letting me know what NOT to get, or things to avoid (i.e. "bass management system") would help too.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:44 pm

if you want good monitors but dont want to invest too much money, get some good cheap bookshelf speakers with a decent receiver. it also might be better for you to get some nice headphones if you're not willing to spend more than 100 bucks. id recommend the sony mdr v600. the akg and beyerdynamic headphones are good as well, but slightly more expensive.

i would just save up and get some good monitors. it changes the way you listen to and make music dramatically.

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:35 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just going to get some good headphones instead... I have a set of Event PS6s that I use in my office/studio at school, but I wanted a little more flexibility in my location, so I wanted something to use at home. Using open speakers at home would bug my housemates, I think. I'm checking the specs on these different headphones and the v600s look good with a response of 5hz (!!!) to 30 khz, and they're under $100. The response curves of all the headphones look really messy so I probably shouldn't even look at those (even though I want something flat[ish] and accurate).

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:11 pm

yeah, frequency response is always an issue when using stereo speakers to mix on. when you mix on something with a flat response, you get a mix that will sound better on more systems. yah, most headphones are kind of weird response wise...if I were you I might look at some AKG studio phones.

my advice for mixing on a budget? some used yamaha ns-10's, an alesis studio monitor amp, and a powered subwoofer to take up the low-end slack. mind you, that's probably more than you're looking to spend, but it's a lot cheaper than dropping a grand on a new pair of powered monitors.

Hardcore Member

Postby Hillgiant » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:08 am

im using a pioneer stereo/cd player thing and running my sound cards sub out to my 180 watt ashdown bass amp

but i mainly work with headphones cause i tend to produce at 2-6 am

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm, bored so I think I'mma get some AKGs K240 II (semi open, dont know what that means, someone tell me)

good idea though right? or would anyone advise against it?

just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Postby mitb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:08 am

get KRK rokit 2nd hand on ebay or smtn, theyre ok.

also about headphones, get closed if ur planning to record smtn, cos semi open are quite loud

Return to Hardware