how do i connect my joystick as a midicontroller?

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

N0oO0obZoR

how do i connect my joystick as a midicontroller?

Postby abel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 pm

Yo dudes, so far i've managed to connect my gamepad as a midi controller by using Edrum monitor program, when i use this program for my joystick it only detects one axis?!? and the throttle lever and some buttons also arent detected. are there any other programs i can use? unfortunately the rejoice i've downloaded doesnt seem to work on my computer, or the software is faulty. please help me!! i wanna try some stuff in ableton, a bit tired of sitting and making ms excel documents (renoise hahaha).

HELP!

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Try glovepie. You can use it to map commands to just about anything. It will even accept bluetooth which is useful for the wiimote. You'll have to spend a lil time learning how it works, how to map out buttons and how to run the write script. But it shouldn't be too difficult for you to get a controller running in it.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:46 pm

you could also try doing it in puredata if you're up to it. perhaps not as easy to use or instantly gratifying as some other HID programs, but fully customizable :wink:

N0oO0obZoR

Postby abel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:36 pm

i have glovepie but its to complicated for me, there is alot of software out there just made for connecting a joystick as a midi control, but its all made ages ago. well well i'll see if i can find something...

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:52 pm

abel wrote:i have glovepie but its to complicated for me, there is alot of software out there just made for connecting a joystick as a midi control, but its all made ages ago. well well i'll see if i can find something...

what you're trying to do IS a bit complicated... if gamepads were meant to be used with live, ableton would have painted them lime green and bundled them with a custom velour carry-pouch by now :) you're probably going to have to take a deep breath and just power through.

Return to Hardware