synth/sampler usage

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Maximum Pwnrdrive

synth/sampler usage

Postby vank » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:51 pm

I am curious to see how people use drum machines, synths, samplers, hardware noise machines in their music. do you midi it up and sequence from your computer, or just hit record and blast out notes? I am not even sure what this topic is really about?!

I midi up my stuff if I am able, or just record samples and mangle everything on the computer. sequence the machine in ableton and record. I just got a new hard drive, more space for noise.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:27 am

That seems pretty random, so you do both your stated points?, i excately did the same 2 moons ago.

Do it now still, when im trying to record a tune thats in my head, and try to record it life, im almost always offbeat, and not the good earraped kind of offbeat, but just everytime a little nexy to a note in head, which in its turn definatly fuckes up your beat.

But back to your point, i use too many synths, if i remember correctly you have the novation neo synth, 25 key thingy, correct me if im wrong.

Lets go deeper into that.

I really have trouble hitting shit live, so i use my mousekey, it doesnt have midi cababilities, but its named after a mouse, so fuck it.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:24 pm

I've Use A Record Player With A Broken Motor, Drum Machines That We're Circuit Bent, Guitar Pedals And Midi Controllers.
Mostly Just Clickin' Wiff Dat Mouze

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Hmm I'm a little confused at how to answer, but I'll give it a go. Since I'm still teaching myself and learning to make tracks, I may do things ass backwards. But at the moment my work flow consists of.

1. gathering samples/making samples/multi sampling
2. Using my oxygen 49 to record simple melodies
3. building drum racks in ableton
4. laying down beats with the trigger finger
5. then usually tweeking my midi notes so everthing gels right
6. usually after I got most the parts down I will record me playing on top with the oxygen 49 again, to add more stuff.
7. then adding more samples, and effects to stuff.

I could probably have my whole track set on auto run, but I still do some of my glitches by hand and move my track along scenes by hand.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby vank » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:41 am

PEPCORE wrote:That seems pretty random, so you do both your stated points?, i excately did the same 2 moons ago.

Do it now still, when im trying to record a tune thats in my head, and try to record it life, im almost always offbeat, and not the good earraped kind of offbeat, but just everytime a little nexy to a note in head, which in its turn definatly fuckes up your beat.

But back to your point, i use too many synths, if i remember correctly you have the novation neo synth, 25 key thingy, correct me if im wrong.

Lets go deeper into that.

I really have trouble hitting shit live, so i use my mousekey, it doesnt have midi cababilities, but its named after a mouse, so fuck it.

my brother used to have a novation x-station. Im learning to use my ea-1 for synth/bass lines. I was mostly interested in hearing how people use hardware sound sources, and incorporating in software programs. also I just found out my midi out on my soundcard doesnt work. bummer.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:01 am

i dont use external sound sources (eg analog synths, hardware samplers, real instruments, etc) yet....

i just got a guitar and some guitar pedal emulations software. i also have been wanting to incorporate some sort of scratching into my music lately. i have been scratching since before i was doing breakcore. i hear something very strange in my head that is kinda like horse force mixed with rage against the machine and pig destroyer. i dont know, its probably the american desire in me to have a band or something.

Return to Hardware