So Confused!!!

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

N0oO0obZoR

So Confused!!!

Postby abel » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 pm

yoyo

my b-day and christmas is coming up and i have wanted some hardware to mess around with for quite some time! Right now i use only Renoise as a demo hooked up to a stationary minidisc for rendering/sampling.

things ive been looking at are stuff that are versatile, first i looked at the mfb synth lite 2, but realised that it could only do one thing, and that acidy sound was less than what i wanted, so i looked a bit for samplers, and i looked at midi controllers. right now i am so fucking confused, but i thougt that i could round up what i've had in my mind and you dudes could maybe give me your opinions!

What i'm really excited about right now is the roland sp404, its portable and has alot of cool built in effects, like bpm looper and such, and its actually right in my budget! I get a boner each time i think of this one, cuz its portable, got a built in mic, cf card for samples, built in sequencer, lots of efx AND i dont need to sit and stare at my computer screen in renoise with my pink+green theme (cool but really exhausting for me eyes). All in all i like it alot, but i dont know if it would suit me better to have midicontrollers, then again i would sit more at my computer....

Controller-wise i've looked at alot of mpc style stuff, m-audio trigger finger, korg padkontrol, akai mpd's etc. They all look cool, nice and good and all, but they are expensive if you think of what they really do, whithout a computer they are useless... They are interesting for me still, but i need something from you guys to justify a purchase, the roland sp404 costs 333euros, while the padkontrol costs 200euros. seems to me the sp404 gives me 10times more for not even 2times the price....

lastly i've looked at the korg kaoss pad 3. it looks nice but the price might be a bit over the top. and i dont know what it does and how i could put it to good use, i've read that people on this forum just leave theirs to dust because they are boring when not used live.

then theres the akai mpc500, not a fan of the price and it seems like it cant even do half of what the sp404 can, and its price is close to a sp555...

also looked at the mini kp, could be cool as an addon later on.

i want to make breakcore/electronic music and maybe some heavy oldschool hiphop beats.

sorry, really dont want to buy some shit i will hate, i'm allways strapped for cash so this is the one time i can buy something for a whole year, so excuse the elaborate whininess.

peace and thanks in advance!

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:07 am

Hmm Think About It This Way That Synth You Were Talking About Is...A Synth. Midi Controllers CAN Be A Synth But Also A Ton Of Other Shit.

As Far As Chaos Pads Go..Buy A Cheap Joystick And Get Software To Make It A Midi Controller And You Can Pretty Much Do The Same Shit.

N0oO0obZoR

Postby abel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:33 am

yeah i've given that some more thougt, synths are just out of question, so is the kaosspad, cuz i got a joystick and i've already know how to trigger with my gamepad, and it just doesnt fill any of my desires/needs. I want to be able to make shit away from my computer, i do allright in renoise when i'm at it, so im really wanting the sp404. its like all i want. i checked out the sp-forums and read alot of pleasent stuf about this machine.

Just got an idea right now, that i could use the render pattern function in renoise to render all of the patterns separetly and then play them back on the sp404 pad by pad while im putting my energy into doin fx and such (bpm looping etc.) I dont know how long the sp404 lets me make one sample but i guess it could be unlimited.

any renoise dude who can reply?
anybody with experience from the sp404 or sp555?
if its really worth it i might look more into the sp555, but right now the 404 seems like the better fit for me.

N0oO0obZoR

Postby abel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 am

bump, still could use some opinions,

did alot of thinking, its now between the roland sp404 or buying a padkontrol and a midikeyboard maybe for the same price as the sp4o4..

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby vank » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:58 am

abel wrote:bump, still could use some opinions,

did alot of thinking, its now between the roland sp404 or buying a padkontrol and a midikeyboard maybe for the same price as the sp4o4..

Im pretty sure everything you can do with a sp404, you can do with a computer. its just cool to have in a hand held little box though. you would get your moneys worth if you invested in the midi controllers, and spending a shitload of time learning how to use a sequencing program/audio editor.

N0oO0obZoR

Postby abel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 pm

thanks for the input, im all about the midi now!
looking into the novation remote zero sl and the m-audio axiom and such.
the axiom looks promising, i want pads and knobs n shit to mess with and it seems to have it all, any suggestions on what piece of gear can be trusted quality wise? i would hate to place my order at thomann and get a hunk of crap with wobbly knobs and pads made of recycled shit.

Return to Hardware