Laptop????

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

n3wb

Laptop????

Postby Pid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:57 am

Am looking into buying myself a new laptop for production and possibly live shit too.

I have a couple which I'm thinking about. Can anybody suggest any to me.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:06 pm

Price range? PC or Mac? Just for music or for other stuff as well?

n3wb

Postby Pid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Around about £700, more if needs be.

Mainly used for music, but also may need to do a bit of written work for uni too.

Gotta be PC. Mac's piss me off!

Pwncall Member

Postby JBL » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:48 pm

The first question to ask yourself is Do you really need a laptop?

You might have very good reasons and absolutely need one.. however I don't know you.. so that's why I'm double checking.

Personally, I would not ever buy a laptop unless I'm 100% sure I am going to use the mobility it offers. I know many people with laptops and they aren't bringing it with them.. it's only a waste of money..

Usually when you get a laptop, you want something small for portability.. which means that it is going to be 15.4 inches or less.. those 17 inches laptop are simply too big.

For a laptop, here is my suggestion:

intel cpu, core 2 duo if possible.
at least 2gb of ram. 4gb would be very interesting considering the laptop is probably going to run vista.
Keep an eye on the video card.. it might not be your priority but it's still better to have a dedicated one.

then just make sure the laptop offers everything you are looking for. (will you need firewire?)

Again I suggest a desktop unless you really need the portability of the laptop.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:23 pm

JBL wrote:The first question to ask yourself is Do you really need a laptop?

This is a very good point. As much as I love my laptop and find it's portability essential for travelling to and from uni, a desktop is far more versatile in terms of customisation and in terms of what you get for your monies.

If it is a laptop you definitely want, go for dual core processors if they are within your price range and as much ram as possible. I quite like the larger screens but then again, I use mine more as a portable desktop. Check average battery life if you think you will be needing it because it varies a lot across models.

Avoid Vista like the plague!

n3wb

Postby Pid » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:37 pm

It is deffo a lappy I need, as I do want it for the mobility. Plus I want to start learning ableton for live performance.
I already have a pc, which is more than capable for when I'm at home. But I dont always spend time at home. Init!

Return to Hardware