Korg KP3

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Korg KP3

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Just got mine last weekend along with a MIDI interface and some other stuff. So far, I must say it's pretty awesome.

You can do a lot of things with it that software can handle by itself, but it's 100x more fun doing it without the computer. I had some gabber kicks and breaks (which I loaded from my computer) going over some of my brother's jazz stuff, which was playing from the iPod we had input to the pad. Sounded terrible, but yeah. :D

It would really be best for live situations. Just play one of your tracks, match the tempo, and use the loop effects or filters - really makes things interesting and you don't have to actually program all of it. I was doing that with Venetian Snares - Where's Bill? and it was awesome.

The MIDI control seems to be pretty good too, but I haven't gotten the chance to really mess with that yet. Need to get some of my tracks converted for Ableton first...

Anyone else have one? :)

Edit: Just watched Notes On Breakcore again and noticed that I:Gor uses a KP2. :P
Last edited by xTxRxAxVxIxSx on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Supah No0b

Postby puxflux » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:00 am

i've had mine since feb 07. yeah i love it! i send my synths and stuff through it when recording. i use it with ableton for live sets. i have a send track from live going into it with keys set to control the send wet/dry of each track. so you can effect/sample just the drum track or whatever. cool shit!
have fun man!

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:04 am

puxflux wrote:i have a send track from live going into it with keys set to control the send wet/dry of each track. so you can effect/sample just the drum track or whatever. cool shit!

...I had never even thought of that. :D

Right now I'm working on writing a couple of tracks that I can play using just the built-in sampler. So, of course, they're pretty basic. But it would definitely be awesome to learn them on the KP3. Might upload the FL track I've been working on here later tonight.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:56 am

xTxRxAxVxIxSx wrote:
puxflux wrote:i have a send track from live going into it with keys set to control the send wet/dry of each track. so you can effect/sample just the drum track or whatever. cool shit!

...I had never even thought of that. :D

Right now I'm working on writing a couple of tracks that I can play using just the built-in sampler. So, of course, they're pretty basic. But it would definitely be awesome to learn them on the KP3. Might upload the FL track I've been working on here later tonight.

Tell me how it works out, i wanna hear/see what this thing can do in Fruity. :D

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:55 am

Actually I meant I was going to try to compile a track completely independent of FL or any software at all (after the samples are loaded on the pad, that is). In fact, I would probably just take my computer out of the room so as not to be tempted to use it. :D

The FL track I was talking about was my plan for what to play for this one song. I'll get it up here in a few. :)

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 am

Alright, track's RIGHT HERE.

Bank A: Bassline part. Sampled from My (Fucking) Deer Hunter by Fear Before The March Of Flames.
Bank B: Break. Actually the "Bond Break" from the latest sample pack contest. :P
Bank C: Pad thing. Also from the latest sample pack contest. "Virus-E97-2"
Bank D: Vocal. Afrika Bambaataa - Funky Heroes from the bb_oldskool_vox pack.

The only effects I would need are LPF (or one of its derivative filters) and one of the loopers. I would also have to edit the loop start/stop points on-the-fly though. If I can get this down, I will definitely be filming how I do it, because I can tell you some of that stuff is not going to be easy. Some parts might not even be possible - it's a great little piece of hardware, but it has its limitations. ;)

Three Poster

Postby rockard » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Nice! I love that track :D
Making great use of the gear there.

I have a Korg KP2 - the model produced before the KP3 obv - and that's also great... There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference between them apart from the looks, but I've never used a KP3 so can't really comment.

Looks damn useful having more than two little sample banks though.

n3wb

Postby Poznatek » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:30 pm

I own the KP3 for 2 maybe 3 months now.... and it's wicked.... great for mashing up the sounds which come out of my RS-7000....

Can't tell how KP2 or KP1 sounded .. but the quality of KP-3 is in every way absolutely ok.... nothing bad to say about it ... there are some vids on youtube ... just type in "Kaoss Pad 3" or "KP3" you will find enought intresting footage about it

Supah No0b

Postby RU2HG3RM » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 am

Me got kp3 too but i cant load to comp. newermind. I had roland Sp555 and can say that there u this function need a lot.
My style play is ges samples live from tape which are good in loop if u have noisy drums
But i need to use my kaossilator so this is just tip

Postby cursedc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:32 am

I use my SP-555 and Kaosspad Mini to full effect.

I sound like breakcore king when i want to.
Kingdom of Consequence, Lord Chimera's Reign.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/cchimera">Enter The Void.</a>

Supah No0b

Postby fpsz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 am

cursedc, is sp-555 have a sequencer? or it's phrase sampler like sp-303 ?

Supah No0b

Postby ecuador108 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:28 am

I have an Sp-555 too, and yes it is a phrase sampler. I really love using it in in a live show though...

Supah No0b

Postby 4ndrw » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:33 am

KP3 is wicked for live effects
but i find it more hassle than its worth to use external effects when working on tracks.

it can also be used as a cool controller
in external control mode you can make it act like 8 little light up faders

Supah No0b

Postby Radical Construct » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:25 pm

:shock:

Supah No0b

Postby ironzion1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 am

how i can download thiz?

Next

Return to Hardware