ONOZ Dilemma - MicroKorg Vs Korg KP3

Gear Debates, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. And of course a touch of bragging.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Which one?!?!!??!

MicroKorg
80%
Korg KP3
20%

Total votes : 5
Maximum Pwnrdrive

ONOZ Dilemma - MicroKorg Vs Korg KP3

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:17 am

Okay, so my big plan was to buy both a

MicroKorg

and a

Korg KP3

The thing was, there was this amazing sale at Guitar Center last year (50% of EVERYTHING) that doesn't seem to be happening this year - I can't find anything about it anyway. I can afford to spend $400-$500, which would get me both of them if that sale goes through. If the sale doesn't happen though, I'm going to have to make a choice, and I need your guys' help with that.

Both are the exact same price.
Both seem very versatile based on their prices.
Both can be used as MIDI controllers.
Both feature a vocoder, although the MicroKorg's is more powerful (so I've heard).
The KP3 has a ton of effects.
The MicroKorg is an actual synth. I've been meaning to get one for a while.
But fuck, that KP3 looks awesome!

SO CONFLICTED. Any insight as to which would be better for a first-timer? I'm thinking the MicroKorg, but I'm really not sure...

And please, I don't really want any other product recommendations. I have my mind set on these two. Although, I do need to get a MIDI interface for my computer eventually. Pointing me at a good one of those could help out. :)

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 am

kp3 doesn't produce as much of that warm analouge sound. microkorg is HOURS of fun!.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby xTxRxAxVxIxSx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:59 pm

Well, crap. Wish I would have got some more feedback on this...

But I'm going tomorrow. For all you that are in the US, Guitar Center's Green Tag Sales Event thing started today (yes, they actually ARE having it, I'm stupid) and lasts until I don't know when. Only thing is, sale is nowhere near as crazy as last year - not everything is on sale, and the stuff that is only has 20% or so taken off. Not a bad sale at all, just not what I was hoping for... none of the stuff I want is even on sale, but I got a coupon for 10% off, so I'll use that. Me and a few friends are going - I think I'm gonna go ahead with the MicroKorg. KP3 will come later, maybe Christmas time...

Thanks for your opinion on it, Higgins. It is definitely hours of fun. I don't doubt that the KP3 would be too, though.

Edit: bought it Saturday, for about 360 bucks. Thing's pretty sweet, but now I have to start learning to play. It's good to just play around on anyway. Fun stuff.

And I decided even though I can't "afford" it, I'm going to just buy the KP3 here in a couple of weeks anyway. Along with a MIDI interface, MIDI cables, maybe a small amp, etc.

Return to Hardware