ragga vox?

Post links, share files, discuss miscellaneous samples. All things samples

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Pwncall Member

Postby the shallow stairs » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:53 pm

thanks
http://www.myspace.com/rejectionprojectmusic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rejectionproject

art holiday and the shallow stairs are rejection project!

Three Poster

Postby novaclat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:49 pm

what are the legalitys surounding using acapellas? considering shitmat used the babylon boy to make an entire album and it was propperly rleased on planet mu and you can even buy it on itunes!

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:17 pm

novaclat wrote:what are the legalitys surounding using acapellas? considering shitmat used the babylon boy to make an entire album and it was propperly rleased on planet mu and you can even buy it on itunes!

I expect either Shitmat cleared the sample with the artist or just released it without clearance and just risked it. It is possible to sue artists for using samples of songs without clearance under copyright law but considering Shitmat has probably only sold a few thousand copies of that album, there wouldn't be much gain in it. As far as I know, you can legally use samples as long as it isn't for commercial release, is used under the permission of the original artist or the sample is out of copyright, i.e. over 50 years old. I don't think many independent artists really care to be honest though and remember, the sampling of "Amen Brother" by the Winstons has been done illegally for the last few decades and no one has been sued yet. Just don't sample Prince, he's a bit mental on those sort of things...

Previous

Return to Samples