96 khz or 192 khz

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Three Poster

96 khz or 192 khz

Postby purebokety » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Hello all ,was wondering if there is a whole lot of difference between 96 khz and 192 khz sample rate capabilities of soundcards nowadays?
I tried to research this online so far but all i seen were heated debates on the topic with not many straightforward answers.
Im asking this question because i have been considering getting the NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 (96 khz) but this has a reduced sample rate when compared with the earlier Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 (192 khz).
Ive seen some engineers say online that 192 is not practical.
i realize that at 192 the digital sample rate is higher and therefore a better representation of the audio,do i really need to be hans zimmer to find a use for 192 (if he even uses it) ,or does it have its advantages over 96?

Three Poster

Postby purebokety » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:06 pm

fuckin hell, im worn out replying to this

Supah No0b

Postby SplitDisk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:04 am

Well 16 bit 44.1k will capture like 80-90% of what you can realistically hear, so it depends how much you're willing to tax your processor and fill up your memory and HDD to get that last 10-20% of lost quality. Think about if most of your tracks are going to end up as 192kbit encoded MP3's and thrown up on Soundcloud vs. how many people are going to be downloading FLACS of them and listening to them on the level of monitors/ sound systems where the difference is slightly more noticible. Keep in mind that most of the time the differences are so subtle that psychological and other factors play into whether or not you're hearing the difference or not.

I believe there are some advantages to recording material in 192k 24bit, if you are doing heavy time-stretching and pitch-shifting. The same probably applies to sample libraries, but again won't matter if you are down-converting your masters to 44.1k/16bit. There's also the fact that you always have the option to go down a step in quality, but you can't go up once you've got the lower bitrate library. Ultimately it comes down to... How much of an audiophile are you?

Three Poster

Postby purebokety » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply,my aim would be to save my music as a file type that would enable me to play my tracks on soundsytems without a loss in quality,i realise that storage space is a factor for me but would choose flac or wav as my medium of choice for livesets if possible.I will go with the ni komplet audio 6 with its 96khz capabilities ,the 192 seems like overkill and a waste of storage to me.
Thanks again for the help.

Return to Software