General software and "learning curves" discussion

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

General software and "learning curves" discussion

Postby iconochasm » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Let's talk about software comparisons in general and learning cuves.
For me, the learning curve of:
FL Studio was like this _
Reason is like this /
and Renoise is like this |
mainly because I had to learn hexadecimal, but I'm pretty good at math, so it was all good.
I'm actually having a lot of fun learning how to use Renoise at the moment.
Anyhow, discuss.
Why isn't 'w' written 'uu'?

Supah No0b

Postby [ROMD]SatanicDJ » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:36 pm

I started out on FL, which was easy as fuck. Nowadays, I use OpenMPT. OpenMPT definitely has a much higher learning curve, similar to the one you've described in regards to Renoise (they're both trackers after all).

Supah No0b

Postby bert » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Yeah, FL is easy but sweet!!!

Supah No0b

Postby null1024 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:24 pm

My musical experience is from a tracker background. I used piano rolls prior, but I never did anything good.

I started on MPT [and I hated MPT, tried to find a better tracker almost immediately after], went to MilkyTracker.
I tried Renoise soon after, and got lost, but nowadays, I can handle it fairly well. I suck at FL Studio type editors, I can't write with a piano roll.

MPT's curve was like /
MilkyTracker's curve was like .-'
Renoise's curve was like | although I got better fairly quickly, using my experience from Milky.

The whole hex issue in tracking never bothered me, namely because it was fairly natural to me [and now I can count in hex after 4 years of tracking], the only problem was remembering the effect numbers [i.e, 9xx is sample offset, 2xx is pitch down, ECx is note cut after x ticks, etc], although some of them were slightly mnemonic, like the C in ECx meant cut, and the R in Rxy meant retrigger [although, E9x is retrigger too, Rxy is retrigger with volume slide... -_-].

Renoise and the like would definitely have a steep learning curve for anyone who isn't accustomed to tracking, it's a very different style of making music.

Return to Software