Another noob question.

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Another noob question.

Postby TokyoTerror » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 am

I have heard there is a way in Ableton that you can record your desktop audio, is this true and if so how do I do it. I am having trouble being able to program beats to this rhythm I have and I know if I just make a kit out of a drum loop I would be able to keep better time with the clip.

Thanks again.

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 am

I was trying freecorder, what the net says is the best, but it didnt work out, give it a go, freecorder
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm

you probably need to un-mute the windows stereo mix.

Go to the volume control with all the sliders, the one that says "Master Volume" (double click the click the little speaker icon on the lower-right of the start bar) Then go to Options -> Properties, select "Recording", make sure "Stereo Mix" is ticked and hit ok. Then click on "Select" under Stereo mix and set the volume to about 15%.

(this is for XP btw, if Vista you're on your own, though it's probably a similar process......)

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm

i know for mac theres this program called soundflower http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower made by the same company who makes Max MSP. it allows you to route the output of your computer digitally within your computer so you can set it as an imput in an audio program. this is usually my go-to source for sampling something like copy-protected audio. there must be some equivalent in the PC domain, however, i am not going to do the work for you and find out. i merely want to show you that what you are talking about exists probably both for mac and pc.

btw, im a big fan of your gif, tokyo terror.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:02 pm

the way to do it is to find a small circular button on the right hand side of the screed that says I-O, this will open a new set of options for each channel, in session view, change the input of one of the channels to "in" (it will be by default on "auto" then just press the record button on that channel as well as the top then let it play and it should record

i dont like using that though, it really screws up the sound somehow, like the quality is degraded in a way, i use audacity to record the audio coming from my pc

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby miskibaul » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 pm

for PC: download the free program Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net)

then in the pic below you have to switch the option to "Stereo Mixer" from the pull down menu....

then just press record and you are on your way to recording sounds from your desktop.

Postby TokyoTerror » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:09 pm

I have audacity Its just I cant use that scroll down menu, like there is nothing there. Is there a different version that I have to download to be able to get that menu?

CoreCore Member

Postby larsby » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

TokyoTerror wrote:I have audacity Its just I cant use that scroll down menu, like there is nothing there. Is there a different version that I have to download to be able to get that menu?

Could be your soundcard's driver's aswell. what are you using?

Postby TokyoTerror » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:49 pm

No idea I believe I just have on board sound, would I need to invest in a sound card?

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:28 am

yeah, some drivers have the stereo mix disabled. My old Dell laptop had that problem.

if that's the case, you need to download & install the generic driver from the sound card manufacturer's website.

Postby TokyoTerror » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:30 am

I more then positive I have on board sound.

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't understand why you need to record "in" desktop audio to make a kit for a drum loop in some rhythem you have.

But yea as divtech said, if you have a microphone plugged to the comp or have some other audio source plugged into comp. Select a channel, set it to "in" then press the circle record button on one of the tracks in that channel and it'll begin recording whatever. You may have to do some mic adjusting so it don't start throwing some god forsaken feedback soon as you push record.....and believe me its screeching loud if using a computer microphone.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:13 pm

alot of laptops are actually just incompatible with the software when it comes to recording because the sound is onboard and the computer cant actually read what is played from a piece of hardware such as a sound card

your problem could also be other software runnung simultaneously. audacity is very greedy when it comes to audio and if you have another audio application open, such as ableton or fl (not like itunes or anything) audacity will not be able to use that part of its functionality

try running audacity without any other programs open and see if that makes a difference

you could also go into preferences under options in audacity and see where its trying to record from and change some of those settings

hope this helps

Postby TokyoTerror » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:41 am

I want to just make a drum machine from a sample off the internet, I will have to try some of these suggestions thanks a lot guys.

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:21 am

TokyoTerror wrote:I want to just make a drum machine from a sample off the internet, I will have to try some of these suggestions thanks a lot guys.

Are you trying to record something off youtube or some other streaming audio or video? If so there are websites that will save it for you. If you already have a .wav or .mp3 or the audio you can make a drum rack as fast as a right click button.

Next

Return to Software