linux? ubuntu?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

linux? ubuntu?

Postby iseeclouds » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:29 am

anyone here uses linux or ubuntu or whatever? which one is the "best"? i'm thinking about getting some open-source software. but i'm afraid my soundcard-drivers won't work. or that i can't install the programs (renoise, ableton live, audacity,...) i use. i also need to work with .doc, exell and ppt files for school. do these work in linux? does it matter what kind of laptop you got?

anyone who can help me? 'cause i'm a fucking n00b. :oops:

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:35 am

ubuntu studio is kinda nice
unless you have some really obscure soundcard you went out of your way to acquire, it should work
you won't be running ableton, but audacity is go and there is a version of renoise for linux
open office for ms office files
google also works on linux

and if you're really a newb, i'd suggest staying away from linux! unless you have the time to glide up it's learning curve :wink: lotta people tear their hair out going in

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:45 am

I'm using fedora 8 at school, we can(must) only use cli though, so it's a pretty tedious job.

I'm thinking of installing a linux/unix type os on my ps3 also, from what i've heard/seen it runs perfectly on that.

Linux type distributing systems are just getting used too, like any other os, they mostly have the same kernel and shit, and i mean common if microsoft really opened up most of there code, linux would probably be better then windows in an instant.

Mostly because of the ever changing distributions of the system, fuck service pack to patc up mistakes, linux solves everything in its extensive community.

Anyways, i have dual boot on this system as well, suse, never fucking used it though, probably in the back of my mind i'm just another sheep following windows in the abbyss.

Hardcore Member

Postby iseeclouds » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:55 am

rokhausen wrote:if you're really a newb, i'd suggest staying away from linux! unless you have the time to glide up it's learning curve :wink: lotta people tear their hair out going in

yeah, i heard that before. seems there are different versions... which one is the best (read: easiest to use)? and how do you install it? i only use my laptop for schoolwork (.doc, .ppt, ...), internet and music.

nobody who has expierence with producing/playing live on linux?

also, i have a medion laptop, so i probably won't find my audiocards drivers online. would that create a problem if i'd go for linux?

i have another shitty laptop that runs XP. i thought i could try linux on that one before fucking up my new laptop. :lol:

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 am

i agree with most that ubuntu is the easiest flavor to dive into... i'd put it on the shit laptop first before possibly fucking up your main rig. then play with it, learn it's quirks, etc... their site tells you how you can install it. you'll be there anyway when you download it. the rest can be googled... and if my experience is any indicator, you'll be googling your brains out!

i've done a couple puredata based sets running under debian, and one time i used csound to do realtime granular vocal processing (fucking nightmare)... there's probably a lot of other tools out there for live performance, but i wouldn't expect them to be as intuitive and as polished as what you're used to under windows.

Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:20 am

Question, does linux support vst's btw?, i never used it for audio shit.

Hardcore Member

Postby iseeclouds » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:01 pm

thanks for the info!

i read on the renoise site that you can install windows vst's on linux with a prog called 'wine'. but not all vst's will work like they suppose to. i heard you can also use this prog to install ableton on linux. as you can guess, i haven't tried these things myself.

@pepcore: what's 'dual boot'? :oops: (no time to google at the moment 'cause i have to study the fucking evolution of social work)
EDIT: nevermind, if this means to split your harddrive in C and D partions, then my dad already fixed this on my laptop.
so in theory i could put both linux and windows on the same pc? or would that just be a dumb thing to do?

Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 pm

No you can, thats not stupid at all, just means that you can use 2 different systems, its good so you can fuck around with linux a bit, but still have windows for ease of use etc.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

i tried using the os x port of Wine to install cool edit on my macbook and it was a shitshow.

@pep - vst's native to linux are scarce, but there are a ton of LADSPA plugins for linux.

but can anyone seriously endorse linux as a platform for techno-oriented music production? with the exception of renoise, there's not much out there that's gonna get you going right out of the box. it feels more like a laboratory environment to me, where you go to try out crazy ideas with crazy, clunky tools. and play some nethack :D

Hardcore Member

Postby iseeclouds » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:52 pm

just found out you can also use this for vst's in linux
http://www.joebutton.co.uk/fst/

next week i'll start my linux experiment on my old shitty laptop. i'll let you know how it ended. :lol:

Hardcore Member

Postby iseeclouds » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm

i fixed that when i boot my laptop i can choose between ubuntu 8.10 and vista. sounds and videos are working in ubuntu. and i got renoise 2 installed. but when i open renoise i get these kinds of errors: “failed to create a RealTime priority thread for ALSA......Highly recommended to use RealTime priority audio threads with ALSA and JACK....”,“failed to open the ALSA device 'hw:0,0 (ALC663 Analog)'....”,“failed to open the jack client...”

i also get an "cannot mount volume" when i try to open my external HD.

posted on ubuntu and renoise forums hope they can help me. hope i'll get everything working.

n3wb

Postby abacusfinch » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 pm

I use Ubuntu. Look into things like JACK, and free programs like Ardour, Rosegarden and such. VST's wont work unless you download the source to a program and add the support in yourself.

I am on the way to purchased Renoise for Linux, along with EnergyXT.

For the most part, Ubuntu Studio has all this shit installed already.

Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:27 am

Is ubuntu even a studio?

Anyways, i'm thinking about installing linux on my ps, just for the micheal jackson supertoor.

Postby Nibiru » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:06 am

PEPCORE wrote:Is ubuntu even a studio?

Anyways, i'm thinking about installing linux on my ps, just for the micheal jackson supertoor.

Ubuntu studio is the version of Ubuntu bundled with additional video and audio support

Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:47 am

I was being sarcastic btw....

Most of my education is linux, i really dislike it though. espescially since we cant do anything with gui, only cli, sucks donkeypenis.

Next

Return to Software