Ableton live questions.

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

Ableton live questions.

Postby Infekkted » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Ok,I'm a bit new to the software and still find it difficult to use,though I've been informed it's pretty easy.I got some questions,tho:
1)can you slice manually the loops that you import?
2)how the hell can someone adjust keys to some samples and make them play?cuz when I adjust a key to a sample and push that key(we're talking about keyboard)no sound comes out.
3)how can someone improvise with the keys?Even when I use the drum rack,and because my soundcard has a little latency,when I push/release the keys,the sound is produced/stopped right after I push/release the button-that is,without quantization of quarter/eight/etc. .Is there any way someone can overcome this,or just improve their timing?

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Re: Ableton live questions.

Postby rokhausen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

1) yes, in arrangement view
2) turn off the little icon near the top right of your screen that looks like a piano... if that doesn't work, check the manual?
3) you can adjust latency in the preferences menu. also, there's a delay compensation parameter for each track you can set yourself. i usually subtract from 0 ms whatever the preferences window tells me my overall latency is.

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:14 am

answer to
1. Yes, in Live verison 7, drag a loop to a audio track. Right click the loop and select "slice to new midi track". Make sure you have "warp" selected on the loop also. Then live gives you the option of slicing by warp marker(which you can control) or by bar, notes. There is also some slicing presets for you to choose also for ready made effects for slices.

2. Are you trigging samples via sampler, simpler or drum rack? If you're using your computer keyboard make sure the keyboard icon on the top right is highlighted. Then click the "key" button next to that. All parameters that can be mapped to a key will highlight orange. Click the sample, track, drum rack pad or whatever else you want to map and then press the key you want it mapped to. When done, click the "key" button again to turn off the map mode and then play. If you're using a midi keyboard, do the same thing, cept press the "midi" button instead of the "key" button, this time things will be highlighted blue for midi.

3. Like rok said you can adjust the latency in the preferences.

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:33 am

I am also curious about question 3, not the latency issue but whether theres a way to set it so the sample plays to the end when you press the key, rather than stop as soon as you release it.

anyone?

pixel mod

Postby rtificial » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 am

DISEMBOWELLED wrote:I am also curious about question 3, not the latency issue but whether theres a way to set it so the sample plays to the end when you press the key, rather than stop as soon as you release it.

anyone?

Just set your "release" setting all the way up and the whole sample will play at the press of a button. That is if you're using simpler, sampler, drum racks. Depending on my sample I either set it all the way up so the whole thing plays or for longer samples or parts of drum breaks I set it about mid ways. Just adjust and keeping tapping away till you find the setting you like.

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:52 pm

ahhh legend..cheers mate

Return to Software