Hating On FL?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

1337 P0ZT3r

Hating On FL?

Postby MarkyPoo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:19 am

I Always Hear People Whining About How FL Sucks Bawlz But I've Used It For Quite A While And Haven't Encountered Any Of The Problems With It.
Could Someone Elaborate On Why It Sucks?
I Use Version 7.
And I'd Appreciate It If There Weren't Any "Because Real Men Use Trackers!" But This Is The Internet So Lay Em On Me.

Breakcore Member

Postby aerick » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:32 am

I use Fl-8, and i really like it. its so comfortable to use. im making music since 2-3 month, and tried many programs, like renoise, ableton or reason and FL was just easy to learn, so i staid with it. Imo the Pianoroll is awesome for a noob like me and with the Slicer/Slicex chopping breaks isnt a problem too.
I thought about changing to renoize, becouse many ppl here say that is the best program for bcore, but im not getting into that.
There r plenty of good tutorialvideos for FL which helped me also alot.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:59 am

HOORAY! FL STUDIO IS A REAL PROGRAM BECAUSE IT IS NAMED AFTER LETTERS AND NOT A BREAKFAST CEREAL!

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:02 am

real men use csound!

but seriously, i started using fl at 1.0 when it was simply a loop construction tool, and from there i watched it bloat into a blinking las vegas slot machine of a daw. i gave up around version 3 or 4.

i think part of the preference for things like renoise/trackers and ableton is the interface doesn't get in the way of concentrating on the music. from my own experiences, i know that if my visual field is being too overly stimulated, i have a hard time concentrating on shaping and arranging sounds. that's probably why i also prefer max/msp and puredata to reaktor... the shoddier the gui, the faster i can work it seems.

<grumpiness> i remember installing a copy of reason 1 on a g4 tower years ago. i attempted to patch something and the goddamn virtual cables began jiggling on the screen and the fucking audio output choked and sputtered. that was the end of that. i already have a lava lamp, thanks very much. </grumpiness>

CoreCore Member

Postby VTJHAYV » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:16 am

I still make music with FL Studio and I think it's great, except that it starts the fucking annoying crackling sound and lagging just with a fucking synth. I guess I'm trying to figure out how to use Ableton Live, but FL Studio seems more capable for me. Fruity Slicer is the honey dew, bitch!

CoreCore Member

Postby birth control » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 am

VTJHAYV wrote:I think it's great, except that it starts the fucking annoying crackling sound and lagging just with a fucking synth.

That'll be your soundcard. Alter your buffer length in the Audio settings. You want it as small as you can (as far to the left as possible) without it crackling.

I also recommend ASIO :mrgreen:

The sound quality is awful in Fruity Loops. You have to fuck around forever to make it take away the hollow sound which is usualy grossly misinterpreted by people who think it delivers a "phatt" sound. The native plug-in's are dire, although the paramertic EQ is decent. I like how you can automate the band freq & width instead of only the level, like with the native renoise EQ.

I don't hate FL. I just don't use it.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:52 pm

I Really Only Use The 3Osc, Slicer, And Granulizer When It Comes To Instruments. Most Of The Effects I Use (Other Than The Parametric EQ) Are VST From Other Things. Fruity Loopz Does Have Alot Of Crapppppy Flat VST But At Least It Has The Ability To Expand (Cough Cough Reason)...Maybe Another Reason I Don't Think It Sucks Is Because I Primarily Use Samples. The Synths Are Pretty Awful. Really Awful In Some Cases. The Visuals Have Never Been A Problem With Me And I Just Recently Redrew All The Picture In The Thing To Have My Name On It And Be Even Brighter. Piano Roll Has (IMO) Been The Fastest Way To Make Patterns And Keep In Mind I've Used At Least Three Trackers Including Renoise And I Still Have Reason. I Even Love Using It Live...But In Live Mode....That Shitz Lame.

And Fruity Loops "Flat Sound" Generally Comes From The Producer Not The Software.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby AfA62 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:33 pm

FL is not that bad in my opinion... I use it and really like it!

CoreCore Member

Postby VTJHAYV » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 pm

birth control wrote:
VTJHAYV wrote:I think it's great, except that it starts the fucking annoying crackling sound and lagging just with a fucking synth.

That'll be your soundcard. Alter your buffer length in the Audio settings. You want it as small as you can (as far to the left as possible) without it crackling.

I also recommend ASIO :mrgreen:

The sound quality is awful in Fruity Loops. You have to fuck around forever to make it take away the hollow sound which is usualy grossly misinterpreted by people who think it delivers a "phatt" sound. The native plug-in's are dire, although the paramertic EQ is decent. I like how you can automate the band freq & width instead of only the level, like with the native renoise EQ.

I don't hate FL. I just don't use it.

Thanks a bunch! Really! I will look for the ASIO, but I'm not really sure what the fuck it is. I'm glad that the divine Google is my friend. I just looked for the buffer length shit and play with it a bit so let's see if that will fix the problem. God bless you!

Breakcore Member

Postby aerick » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:40 am

sry, but LOL.
thats the first thing im gonna do when a programm lags, i check the settings ^^'

CoreCore Member

Postby VTJHAYV » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:57 am

:lol: Mah! How the fuck should I figure that buffer length means something important. I checked the settings, I played with buffer length and all I achieved was more crackling. I noticed a correlation between lowering the buffer length and the density of crackling. Sort of pseudo-empirical studies. With my poor comprehension of english I couldn't understand WTF does buffer length even mean. Yeah, "length" I understood, but "buffer"... Err... 'K? And I really don't have that much experience in electronics and computer technology and software in general. :lol: Sry for all the excuses, but us ninjas know that good will always triumph over eeeeviiill... I am just defending the honor of my clan :lol:

Breakcore Member

Postby aerick » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:55 am

Well its like everywhere in the computerworld, less sweet = more speed, or something like that xD
but i understand, that its hard to comprehend what the bufferlength is, when u never heard of it. =)

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 am

^^ u probably need moar rams

^take it easy on the guy, you were once a n00b too. at least his gif is way cooler than that toddler toy that you have

also, reason may not be expandable, but it does have the ability to rewire. if you are doing sample-based music, most of your music relies on your samples not the software. the software you use for sequencing is mostly a preference thing until you start to talk about plugins. the reason why i love reason (pun intended) is because it takes up like NO RAM AT ALL. that and the NNXT is the sampler that makes the most sense to my brain. i have played with all different types of DAWs, and Reason 3 (not 4) is still my fav for bcore, but again, its preference.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:01 pm

When It Comes To Sample Based Music It's Not Allllll 'Bout Dem Samplez. (IMO) More About What You Are Using To Cut Them And Stretch Them. Every Other Software I Have Used I Have Had A Way Harder Time To Come Close To The Sample Cutz I Could Get Wiff Edison And Da Slicer. Granulizer Works Really Well For Stretching The Fuck Out Of Hits And Stuff It Allows Me To Do Alot Of Things Alot Of Samplers Can't Do (Making Synths Out Of Snares Etc) And If You Don't Fuck The Stretching Shit It Works As A Plane Ol' Samples.
I've Never Had CPU Problems With Fl.

I Guess The Point Of This Post Was To Find Out Why So Many People Rave About Other Software But Frown On Fruity Loopz.

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby rokhausen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Granular resynthesis is easily achieved in just about any daw these days... my problem with FL is it looks and feels more like a video game than a daw. But, to each their own.

It's not what you use but how you abuse it.

Next

Return to Software