Mastering AKA how to make your tracks LOUD

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:39 pm

well, the whole point of gabber kicks is that they're digitally clipping. i mean, its basically a sine wave clipped until its a square wave. the trick to getting drums to sound good is to get stuff to sofly clip before it starts to digitally clip, so it adds a sort of compression effect that makes the drums sound huge. the way i do this is have a compressor in series with a limiter, and then the output of the limiter set to be higher than the dynamic range of whatever bit depth you are using. aka HUGE beefy drums.

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 pm

133crazydirector wrote:Someone tell me one thing...
How to make very heavy distorted kicks sounds very loud, but without clipping and peaking etc and not covering all other drums...
I mean just something like Winniepeg album, very loud, very distorted, very fast and not only that kick, other drums too..
I'am clear with other drums, but kick kicks me off again lol :D
So i need something to do it heavy and suitable...
Some hard mixing.

you mean something like this?: mp3 sample. its all in the production/mixing :)

CoreCore Member

Postby 133crazydirector » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:15 pm

HORSE FORCE
Well, i seems to make drums very detailed and fast, i could do them huge and compressed, but i got other conception of track=)
weyheyhey !!
I need something like diss, but maybe beat even more huge))))
please, tell me how you do this kick such as it sound in ya mix!
Btw sounds really great, you've found your own way! ;)

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:48 pm

a good ear

good compression and a good limiter
\((( "D )))/ Yay clouds! ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby miskibaul » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:08 pm

producer_snafu wrote:a good ear

ding ding ding!

no plug-in or hardware device is useful unless you have an ear for it.

how do you get an ear for it? practice, and practice with the aid of this too.

n3wb

Postby romantik.berserka » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:20 pm

basically there few rules to respect while you make the tune

Keep all the sub, kick and bass stuff in mono (this way if one day it's pressed on vinyl there will be no problem) Anyway the bass are no directionel so ears can't tell if it's mono of stereo

It's better to get subtil with maximizer/brickwall limiter, if your stuff is pressed by a label it will go to a real mastering stage with equipemet that cost the price of your studio for only one eq...

Basically what i do is that i mix my track and put a limiter (elephant voxengo) on the master at the end, fix some minor mixage problem and just add + 2 db and pump up the volume !!!

Remember also to not forgot to put a analyzer on the master to verify stuff (you should have a line with the peak at 50 and the lowest part on the high)cut everything under 30 (you loose headroom and no one can actually hear it!)

n3wb

Postby Foetus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:22 pm

xTxRxAxVxIxSx wrote:All I usually do is throw a Multiband Compressor on every mixer track, and use the preset 'soft limiter'.

That's because you have absolutely no idea what you're doing.

birth control wrote:you want to make sure the whole mix is not peaking over 10db. You'll find that anything above this will probably sound muddy on a club PA.

What are you talking about? You sound like you're regurgitating something you've read or seen somewhere and have no concept about what you are talking about. When you print your final mix, it won't be any higher than 0db (unless you're printing a 32bit float, but no one will press a 32bit vinyl or CD anyway, so what's the point?) Are you sure you're not confusing 10db with -10RMS? And even if you are, to say going higher on either 'will probably sound muddy on a club PA' means nothing unless you know the content material of the mix and the individual club PA. Next!

HORSE FORCE wrote:well, the whole point of gabber kicks is that they're digitally clipping.

Shall i just quote that again to pontificate just how dogmatic that sentence is?

HORSE FORCE wrote:well, the whole point of gabber kicks is that they're digitally clipping.

The purpose of a gabber kick is to clip digitally? So there are no analog gabber kicks? I think you'll find the majority of sampled gabber kicks have come through the analog domain. Learn and respect your history son.

romantik.berserka wrote:Anyway the bass are no directionel so ears can't tell if it's mono of stereo

And you're trying to tell people that they can't tell the difference between a stereo and mono bass noise? What is this place, Dogs on Acid for illiterate inbreds?

The thread title should read 'Mastering AKA how to make your tracks translate well onto different playback systems', because that is what mastering is. Making your tracks loud is simple; turn the volume up.

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:54 pm

My god, someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Your sort's not welcome round here.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby MarkyPoo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:14 am

pimperteen wrote:My god, someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Your sort's not welcome round here.

Hahaha...

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:31 pm

hahaha thanks for the good laugh Foetus

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:18 am

pimperteen wrote:My god, someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Your sort's not welcome round here.

Hahahah, laughed my ass of here.

We don't take kindly to people knowing what they are doing round here, now hold on skeeter, lol

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:26 pm

resample the shit load as hell

CoreCore Member

Postby 133crazydirector » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Foetus
you should check some noise forum on mastering thread. :wink:
more laugh for you there, 4sure! :lol:

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:32 pm

mastering is a different skill to mixing and should be left to geeks that know what they are doing - the easiest way to (for me anyway) get stuff sounding FUCKING LOUD is:

take care with eq during mix down
cut the lows on everything except kick and sub/bass - generally belwo 80hz

make sure kick doesn't clash with bassline frequency wise

LISTEN back at a differnet volumes/speakers etc check everytihing gels

dont overuse compressors during mixing/tracking - unless you really want the effect of overcompression

when happy bounce down to a stereo wav and load it up in your programme of choice - i use cubase usually but sometimes stick the whole thing back in renoise in one massive pattern - then add a compressor an eq and a limiter on the master channel - compress gently cut the extreme lows and boost the tops (use frequency analyser to check) and then use the limiter to boost teh gain as much as possible without totaly destroying the sound -

that should give you a decent volume level to play out wiht but it's not really mastering as such

.........or- record your outputs back through a boss distortion pedal and stick dbglitch on the default random setting, cut the bass completely and boost the treble to full power - also repitch the whole track to 3 octaves higher than it should be and then timestretch it back to twice the original lengh. - record the resulting shit to dictaphone through one laptop speaker and jam a pencil in the tape every few seconds - now that's breakcore mastering

free pwny ridez!

Postby producer_snafu » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:14 pm

133crazydirector wrote:Foetus
you should check some noise forum on mastering thread. :wink:
more laugh for you there, 4sure! :lol:

link please!

Previous

Return to Software