How to use EQ in Breakcore?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

n3wb

How to use EQ in Breakcore?

Postby trebushet » Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 pm

I´m new in breakcore. So at the moment i don´t understand how to equalize drums when using sliced up breaks instead of single drum samples.
For example i want to render loops in Renoise and layer them with some pads, basses etc in Cubase. But how do i equalize drums of a rendered break which covers a whole frequency spectrum?

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm

in Renoise or cubase?

n3wb

Postby trebushet » Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm

In general...
If you layer a drum-part which has higher (snare) AND lower (kick) frequences with a high frequenced bass for example, you got to equalize kick and snare separately. Correct me if I´m wrong. But how do you do that with a chopped up LOOP??? You dont throw diffrent parts of a loop on diffrent tracks, to eq each track individualy, do you?

Postby gigassassin » Sun May 25, 2008 8:24 pm

I recommend that you stop thinking of the samples as seperate drums. Think of them as chunks of sound.

Also, layer short samples that are eq'd for the effect on the ear of different frequencies over your samples that have multiple hits. In this way, you will keep the fullness that the rendered samples provide and the clarity of pure hits.

Postby gigassassin » Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Ah! Double post.
Last edited by gigassassin on Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pwncall Member

Postby JBL » Fri May 30, 2008 1:02 am

I recommend that you start listening to gigassassin.

n3wb

Postby trebushet » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:35 pm

ok, got it.
an other question...

how do you prevent an amen from driving into a mess when its layered with some leads or a bass?
do you only use pan or is there an other option to get a clear drum-sound?

CoreCore Member

Postby Dr. Bastardo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:07 am

Personaly, I tend to eq breaks to try and bring out the detail in the rop end and then double up the kicks and snares with other samples to give them more punch. Also Dynamics processing!!! Especially with the Amen. I like to gate it pretty hard to isolate the transients and then use turn up the reduction on the gate so it lets the rest of the break through at a lower level. Adds some force to all the main hits of the break while keeping the detail and little ghost hits etc. Multiband compression is also a good alternative to EQ sometimes. You can bring out certain frequencies without messing too much with phase relationships that sometimes happens with EQ.
www.myspace.com/drbastardo
"Death To All False Rave" Out Now!
Peace Off Ltd 22

Pwner

Postby phleg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 am

just make it randomly, its breakcore, right? :?:

CoreCore Member

Postby Lunargoose » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:34 am

I recommend turning off your monitors and listening to some Shitmat or Venetian Snares and pretending that's what you're making. Then upload to the web without previewing.

The Horse Lord!

Postby HORSE FORCE » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:04 am

Lunargoose wrote:I recommend turning off your monitors and listening to some Shitmat or Venetian Snares and pretending that's what you're making. Then upload to the web without previewing.

lol

learning how to EQ is like learning how to play an instrument. you gotta use your ears and you gotta practice. my best advice is to take a song and put it in whatever program youre using and put some stereo eq on it.

then turn the Q to about 1, boost 3db at a time, and sweep throughout the frequency range, listening to how each frequency sounds. the best thing to remember is that each doubling of frequency equals an octave. google "frequency charts" and you should get some interesting interpretations of what certain frequency bands sound like.

Postby Nibiru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 am

Sidechaining helps for layering amens with other things. You bus the drum from one channel to a compressed channel, leaving the original dry. It kind of preserves the dynamics of the original sound. You can do things like put a lowpass filter on the compressed signal, and map it to a fader so you can duck your amens or whatever other break you're using out of the mix with a cool filter sweep, or just shut off the compressed channel, depending on what you're going for.

Edit: also, sending some or all of the one-shots you've chopped your breaks into to different channels to eq them differently, or apply different effects can make a difference. I like to add a bitcrusher to some hits in a break to get a cool effect here and there.

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:25 am

i dont get any of this
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

n0Ob

Postby lizarrd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:22 pm

here you go (inside reason) for seperate eq-ing of bass and snare off a loop:
take the loop, slice it correctly in recycle. XXX.wav --> XXX.rx.2
Open that in a dr.rex loop player, do "to track".
THEN:
open an NN-XT sampler. cut, copy the "to track" sequencerevent from the dr. rex to the NN-XT and open the same .rx2 in this NN-XT. (delete the dr.rex).
the loop will be played with the sampler now.
when you open the remote editor of the nnXT you can now route the different slices to different output which can be routed to any fx, eq, distortion, feel FREE!
plus: if you use Spider audio splitter (and automate the mixerchannels), you can put up to 4 effects per slice.
you can also automate the eq in a rough way to sluuuuuuuuurp your hi hats
try the eq inside the vocoder

n3wb

Postby Jaygo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:15 am

I havnt a clue about eq'ing in FL since i aint got it yet but if i was goin to do say anything i would advise Nibiru's way of doin it as i basically do the same with ableton. As for Lizarrds way of doin it with reason just sounds to complicated if your only just gettin to grips with a new program, as i find rewiring two programs can get confusing unless your familiar with both? To be honest i dident even know you could rewire reason with FL, thought i heard you couldnt but maybe that was an older version at the time? I assume you can rewire it with ableton aswell then?

Return to Software