max msp anyone using it any tips?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Supah No0b

Postby vik44 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:36 am

Postby ehanson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 am

I use it, what sort of questions do you have? I'm not a super user or anything, but I maybe could help. I always try to check out the cycling74 forums for tips or question/answer threads, those are sometimes helpful.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:15 am

i have used it, cant think of any tips...open some of the built-ins and look at their structure.

i hear that the next version of ableton live will have a lot of that synthesis/msp components built into it.

i have always had more luck with reaktor

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::fap*:::::

Postby ehanson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 pm

vik 44 - maxmsp 5 is out now, i haven't upgraded yet but i think it's just a UI upgrade? is that what you're using, vik44?
if you're just beginning, i'd agree with fap* in that a good activity is to take apart patches. once you understand some basics you'll be able to learn easier. the manual has a lot of great information and there are lots of good examples, but some of the very beginnery things did give me problems at first.

fap* - i heard the same thing about ableton, fap*, i don't really use Live but i'm definitely curious to see what the integration is all about. Currently it's pretty easy to build plugins from maxmsp, i have some problems with some patches though, so yeah i'm curious to see what the deal is.... how is Reaktor? i've never used it.

CoreCore Member

Postby Dr. Bastardo » Wed May 07, 2008 9:43 am

What are you trying to build. I find with max this is one of the most important things you need to know. The program is so big and so open ended that you need an idea to start off with. Once you have a vague idea of what you are trying to build you can do what has already been said. Read the help for different objects and check out the alternative objects it suggests, take apart patches etc. Also Dl the RTC ( real time composition) Library. Its got a lot of really helpful externals that will save you a bunch of time.

Also Maxobjects.com has a lot of free objects and externals.

I almost forgot, Lots of patience!
www.myspace.com/drbastardo
"Death To All False Rave" Out Now!
Peace Off Ltd 22

Return to Software