what effects do you use on your busses??

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Pwncall Member

what effects do you use on your busses??

Postby s-n-s » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:08 am

im using renoise,have just gotten a studiorta creation station desk,so i got room to connect my small skytronic pa-speakers for reference,and now i need to remix all my tracks,because they sound great in my headphones but shite on the speakers.

so i want to start making busses in renoise,what effects do you use one the busses for kicks,snare,hats,synths and what effects do you only use on the master channel??

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 pm

I had a plan to record that rhythmic rumbling sound you hear when you sit at the back of a stationary bus and gate it to make what I thought would be a really good gabba kick but you obviously aren't talking about buscore so maybe I'll leave that for another day.

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:23 pm

haha buscore....nice one :D

no seriously?

Postby gigassassin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 pm

I've gotten into compression on the master buss. Some have argued against it, but I think they're just trying to play the purist. I just know that it makes it sound louder.

As far as the difference between headphones and speakers goes, I'd go with the old trick of mixing on different types of headphones and speakers as monitors. I was also thinking today of using an eq on the master buss to simulate the sound of the mix on monitors with less bass and high-end clarity than my headphones. This will especially come into play when I get my Sony 7509HDs in the mail in a few days. I'm thinking I'll just use the shitty ear buds that came with my cheapo portable DVD player and set an EQ preset that makes the Sonys sound like that for one of the last stages in the mastering process.

As far as my individual instruments go, it all depends on the needs of the mix and sound I'm looking for in the track. One thing I always do is send some of my kick's signal to the side chain of the compressor on the bass instrument. That's an old and oft-used trick for a reason.

Actually, I must confess, I just figured out how to get multiple busses out of Battery in Cubase, so I'm still playing with it. I just EQ so everything has its own real estate in the frequency spectrum and make sure that everything can be heard. Otherwise I've got instrumentation using processor power for naught.

Oh, and a dither. Last thing before export is a dither on the master buss.

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:06 am

i don't really know what a bus is or how you make one. but most "tracks" or channels in my renoise songs have at least one effect; EQ.

the master/stereo-mix channel i use nothing at all except occasionally compression for preview only. I render out and master with something else. I don't understand why people don't like using compression on the stereo-mix track ... i mean that's eventually what you do when you master .. compress the snot out of it :)

Pwncall Member

Postby s-n-s » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:46 pm

thanx,yes im just experimenting with getting my tracks in renoise to sound good on my monitors now,.well of to experiment some more

Supah No0b

Postby vik44 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:42 am

burn you tracks on a cd a try it in several systems first just in case it is your speakers that sound weird. Don't want to ruin what might be a perfect mix already.

Return to Software