What am I missing about Renoise?!?

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

What am I missing about Renoise?!?

Postby PetSonicMonster » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:25 am

ok im sure this is old ground but i still want to ask

ive been playing about with renoise and i get that its a very nifty piece of kit, an awful lot of people on here use it and love it and clearly the guys who make it are very supportive of the scene that it has.

my question is literally just to ask if im missing something. i play with ableton and it will do litereally everything i want, i can cut, slice and rearrange beats in it and see where everything is and it makes sense to me. i find that for an idea that hits me its generally pretty quick to get that idea down (even if it actually sounds like shite when i wake up the next morning)

when i play with renoise it just seems that there is so much less i can do and its much harder to do what i want to do.

there are one or two things i really like about it. the way you can organise the envelope settings for filters/volume etc and have ghost notes is really nice and i dont seem to find that so easy to do with anything else

but basically, what do people find is so amazing about it specifically for breakcore?
*NEWS FLASH* Jungle is not as massive as it once was

Pwncore Member

Postby hardon collider » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:53 am

Ok, well I used to feel like you back in July when I first started using Renoise but I just kept working at it until it started to make sense. The reason I like it is because once you gain an understanding of how to program individual beats and shit with it you can get a lot of your ideas down very quickly and program some pretty intricate patterns. I only regret one thing about using Renoise and that is that I should have asked lots of questions instead of spending hours trying to figure out how to do the things I want to do with it. Even 8 months later I still don't completely understand how to use it but I know enough to get by for the most part. I'm considering mixing raw tracks from Renoise in another software though because that's where Renoise falls short for me, anyway.

If you like and understand what Ableton does then just stick with that because I'm really not too sure if learning how to use Renoise was worth the time and effort (though I have produced some weird sounding shit that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to produce if it weren't for Renoise). To tell you the truth, I only got interested in using Renoise because I found out that Venetian Snares uses it so it must be some amazing godly piece of software that would make me sound like him (HAHAHAHAHAHA...... :cry: no...) I'm probably the 10,000th person who got into Renoise only because Aaron Funk uses it.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:47 am

my penny's worth:

I got into trackers/renoise because when I decided I wanted to make music, the way I imagined, or guessed, music production software to work turned out to be almost exactly the way a tracker works. So it just fitted in naturally with my own expectations and perceptions. I find other things like Ableton Live/FL Studio/ACID/etc slow, clumsy, overly complex and not very "natural" to work with.

I like to make lots of intricate drum edits and I don't use any loops so a tracker is perfect for me. Some of the break mashing stuff I do in Renoise would take fifty times longer in Live or whatever.

There are a probably only a handful of reasons for using Renoise over Live/ACID;

1. it's very cheap
2. you're already familiar with trackers
3. you want to easily do "vsnares style" drum edits

If you don't see a need for it - don't use it!

@hardon collider - do you have the Renoise version with the Mixer (1.9+)? I find it adequate enough...

Postby PetSonicMonster » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:13 pm

in fairness i started looking at it because VSnares used it as well (LOLZ FANBOI LOLZ!!!1)

the first two of your points make total sense to me, obv renoise is not alot of dollar to buy and hence outstanding value for money, and if you know trackers then you know trackers.

but personally i dont see hexedecimal valuing and a vertical timeline to be that much easier for programming stupid cutup glith and drums than a midi grid.

in retrospect tho, i can definatelly see why you say its less cluttered.

i think ill keep playing with renoise but im not going to spend any huge amount of time on it unless something jumps at me
*NEWS FLASH* Jungle is not as massive as it once was

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:01 pm

well the most obvious being with a midi grid I assume you have to put the notes in with a mouse? lame :p.

in renoise you map every snare, hi-hat, kick etc to a key on the keyboard and you just kinda type your breaks in.

Oh, just out of interest, what's the resolution on your 'midi grid'? Like for renoise I generally have 24 or 48 steps per beat.

n3wb

Postby deadbreed » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:57 pm

i am with you on the 24 to 48 rez, 440 bpm for the win. i use fbXX alot for changing time structures on the fly. i just cannot track out synths to save my life, i load up fl studios and make and render synths out, then sample them in renoise (they seem to lose that fruity sound too) use what you are good with, moving from a suquencer to a tracker was hard and still is, but my music is much better from the effort.

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:50 pm

deadbreed wrote: i just cannot track out synths to save my life, i load up fl studios and make and render synths out, then sample them in renoise

yeah a lot of people say that ... i've never used FL/etc much so don't know what I'm missing, but I can kinda see what you're saying. I guess i'm quite used to tracking synths and melodies now :)

and oh yes, speed=1 ftw :). because it's ace and because it blows people's minds when they see it running at that speed haha ;)

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:56 pm

PetSonicMonster wrote:but personally i dont see hexedecimal valuing and a vertical timeline to be that much easier for programming stupid cutup glith and drums than a midi grid.

O RLY?

heh, I could play you a section of one of my tracks that I bet you would have a nightmare of a time trying to reproduce in Live :p

CoreCore Member

Postby Higgins » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:36 pm

First time i loaded up renoise and tried to get it to work i gave up in 10 minutes out of pure frustration. The second time I loaded it up ( about 2 months later) I still didn't get it and the numbers seemed daunting to me and shut it down half an hour later. Later that month after accidentally ingesting a high dose of amphetamines (lolololoololololol) I couldn't sleep and had a moment of clarity at around 6 am. I got it. I understood why it was awesome and why so many praised it. I can't say that it will automatically work and be awsome for everyone. Some people learn need the gui of a LIVE or a Reason &c.

Supah No0b

Postby WankZappa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:59 pm

pimperteen wrote:well the most obvious being with a midi grid I assume you have to put the notes in with a mouse? lame :p.

in renoise you map every snare, hi-hat, kick etc to a key on the keyboard and you just kinda type your breaks in.

thas why i prefer it for programming krazy rhythms

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:30 pm

renoise wins

n3wb

Postby deadbreed » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 pm

ah hahahahhahhaha i started dropping midis into to renoise and i'm slowly figuring tracking synths out. my sticking point seems to be that since i'm running a big resolution (440-555 bmp, 3-6 speed) my brin cannot quite wrap around all the empty spaces, then i fill them and then i'm back to sounding bad.. errr oh well i'll just try to deal, any xrns tutorials in here or should i dash over to #renoise?

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:58 am

why'd you put the bpm so high and the speed so slow? you're better off setting the speed to 1 and the bpm to the actual tempo you want cos then you can tempo sync with vsts and you get the high resolution too. for those settings 1 pattern is then 192 steps (24 per beat)

n3wb

Postby deadbreed » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 am

i just like the extra tpl to retrig and dx/fx with and it's what i'm used to doing, i'll try it out though, maybe i'll like it..

n3wb

Postby acid_sound » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm probably the 10,001th person who got into Renoise only because Aaron Funk uses it.

i don`t really get into renoise but i come along very fine with reason,acid pro and zero x beat creator (i saw it in the shitmat-tutorial...I LOVE THIS LITTLE PROGRAMM!!!)

Next

Return to Software