How to do 'breakcore'

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

N0oO0obZoR

Postby moms in the basement » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Theres no formula into making breakcore, its a secret.

Supah No0b

Postby Bipolar Joe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:23 pm

If you throw a drum kick down a spiral staircase, you make awesome breakcore.

Pwncall Member

Postby JBL » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:07 am

Renoise.

Postby gigassassin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm going to weigh in for the Cubase camp here. In combination with Battery 3, it's godlike power. I can change tempos and time sigs all over the place. It quantizes well past 4096th notes (128 32-lets), as if you need anything past 1024ths. My software is thus able to program anything that I can come up with.

But yeah -I can sample anything I want into Battery, tweak it in there, and send sound out of Battery on 16 channels (8 stereo, 8 mono) which can all be effected seperately with either inserts or effects. Then there's midi CC automation in Cubase which allows me to twiddle any knob on Battery, or any VSTi, with a neat little line graph.

As far as a live show goes, I'm looking into NI's Traktor Scratch, and maybe Ableton in the future, but I'm stuck in the Army, so I'm good with just composing and producing for now.

Also, Cubase 4 has worked out the sidechain issue pretty nicely.

Supah No0b

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:13 am

I'm having trouble trying to start out and do breakcore via Live. I've tried to putting in break samples and slicing it up, but I really don't know where to put them and how to modify each individual sound? Do have I have to a seperate midi track for each slice? Or is there a way to keep all slices on same track and use different keys to signal the sounds. Also would it just be easier to do this in NI Battery?

Basically I'm stuck at the beginning.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:19 am

I've tried cutting up breaks in Live with very little success so I've moved to Fruity Loops. I still plan to use Live eventually but that will be more for arrangement and live performance. What might be easier is to arrange the breaks in another program and then import them into live so you can trigger the samples there. I know some people here have used Renoise for the breaks and then Live for the rest (which is what I could do if I could be bothered to learn the former). If you are still set on using Live for everything, this tutorial might be helpful. Not breakcore but it does teach some breaks arrangement, though to be honest i find the method quite clumsy and would sound pretty shit unless you already have a well arranged break in the first place. Give it a go though: http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/ ... leton-live

Pwncore Member

Postby ny4rl4thot3p » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:55 pm

all this discussion about trackers made me excited.

I love buzz. it's a bit wonky to use sometimes, but once you get the hang of it, it's a really sweet program.

I also really like goattracker, but that's more of a c64 tracker, and not for those who are trying to avoid the chippy sound.

i'm actually just getting into trackers, and i absolutely love it.

I have gotten to the point though where I no longer use just one program for my sounds and sequencing. I do bits in fruity loops. Some bits i record from goat tracker and buzz. Some things i actually just moosh together in soundforge or goldwave. then as of late ive been taking those pieces and sequencing them in ableton. it's kind of been easier for me to translate the music i do into livesets that way, instead of having to cut tracks up into parts and then slap it in ableton. this way i can resequence things while i'm playing live, and because i tend to forget how my songs go sometimes, i wind up doing live remixes of my stuff. i've actually heard of people producing IN ableton, but to be honest, i don't really see how to do that with out wanting to shoot yourself, unless they're doing purely sample based stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with sampling at all, i use a ton of samples, i just don't understand ableton well enough yet to understand how i can completely recreate samples into my own bits using strictly ableton as a production suite.
<a href="http://www.soundcloud.com/nyarlathotep">"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - A. Huxley</a>

Supah No0b

Postby vik44 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 am

I like using any software I can get my hands on to mangle audio and then importing it back into albleton. But the more software you learn the more you will understand how to make the sound you have in your head a reality.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:17 am

call vankmen
force him to come over
have him create breakcore

always works for me!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::fap*:::::

Breakcore Member

Postby nsound » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:37 pm

make jungle drums in 7/8 with at least 5 drum kits and a meaty amen break sequence at 220 bpm on speed 3 in renoise - compress it all with camel crusher - render bits of it to new samples and sequence those too. stick a few reverses and retriggers in their with a massive reverb, a distortion and super fast delay on a couple of send tracks - play with the automation of the sends.

then time stretch vocals and synths and white noise in ableton render and stick back into renioise - play around with vsts and the lofimat - export everything into cubase and microedit and eq and compress everything. render as wav and master in your software of choice (i actually like to get the mix tight in cubase and then master in renoise my limiter plug works much better within renoise than cubase??)

render again and convert to mp3 - upload to ihatebreakcore.com - receive 2/10 and cry a little...

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 pm

nsound wrote:speed 3 in renoise

real men use speed 1 :)

Pwner

Postby phleg » Sat May 10, 2008 11:02 am

BEAT SLICER!!!
is the answer!
:twisted:

Pwner

Postby phleg » Sat May 10, 2008 11:04 am

weyheyhey !! wrote:
nsound wrote:speed 3 in renoise

real men use speed 1 :)

and fake men use "09xy"
:lol:

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Sat May 10, 2008 1:46 pm

phleg wrote:and fake men use "09xy"
:lol:

I use that all the time ...................

Three Poster

Postby splash! » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:18 pm

i took renoise yesterday! let's see!!

PreviousNext

Return to Software