How to do 'breakcore'

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Three Poster

How to do 'breakcore'

Postby koukotsu » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:37 am

Hi
I have previously made loads of tracks in many genres using software such as FL studio, Reason and Cubase. However I have loads of decent ideas for new 'breakcore' type stuff, and the software above doesn't seem to be really suited to this type of music. Everytime I have tried using these software to create crazy venetian snares / bong ra has been too much 'hard work' and ending up sounding shit.
So now i'm trying Buzz, as tracking software seems to be popular for stuff like breakcore. Is this a good choice, or should i get something like renoise instead? I'm not sure how to even load custom samples or VST plugins in buzz yet, but I want to master one piece of software that will easily let me create breakcore influenced stuff in the studio and live (with a M-audio oxygen8 and trigger finger).

Can anyone give me any tips or point me to tutorials how to create breakcore type stuff in tracker software?

Thanks

n3wb

Postby felixhelix » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:37 pm

just use the help files and your intuition, the reason the quality of teaching for this type of music and how to make it its so bad is because you really have to find your own vibe, and your own texture, through honing your own special technique for programming. Buzz id good, but buggy as fuck. Use the F1 help to sort yourself out fairly quickly though.
Regards,

n3wb

Postby Konfliktzone » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:03 pm

renoise and madtracker..
buzz sucks big time!! :mrgreen:
<b><u>my sick & violent audial arts:</u></b>
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/konfliktzonestudios">myspace.com/</a>
<a href="http://konfliktzone.blogspot.com/">turntablizms weblog</a>
<a href="http://www.electrobel.nl/profile/140">electrobel.nl/</a>

Postby bloko » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:47 am

Trackers seem to be suited well for breakcore. So i would try Renoise and the like out.

Three Poster

Postby Mikey The Black » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:18 am

Everyone seems to be raving about renoise, I'll have to check it out. I tend to try to stick to one program if possible but that seems to be a bit limited in thinking...

Time to kick oneself in the arse and branch out me thinks..

Postby hate_raiser » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:51 pm

get a tracker, load in a break, chop out each hit, set bpm to 200+, add distortion and bit-crushers.
E X T R E M E * M U S I C * F O R * E X T R E M E * P E O P L E

n3wb

Postby arcaneparadox » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:18 pm

what about all the ableton live guys?

Three Poster

Postby stubaines » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:27 pm

im gonna start tryin 2 make some breakcore. is it possible 2 make decent tunes with reason, ableton, cubase, etc..... or do u need fancier stuff???

n3wb

Postby arcaneparadox » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:18 pm

thats the same set up i use and i get great results... it depends on your style if you want fast f'd breaks any program with slicing and a distortion can make breakcore. If you like the older ventian snares or (gasp) aphextwin style i would recomend cubase or something with nice automation features and the ability to really tweak your work....but who the hell am i... i could be full of sh!t

Supah No0b

Postby HcKid » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 pm

Renoise is pretty cool but pretty hard to use..

Three Poster

Postby starxcore » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:49 pm

No, Renoise is not so hard to work with.And yes, it's probably the best program/tracker for making breakcore.

Three Poster

Postby koukotsu » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 pm

I'm using renoise now, i really like it! I find it easy to use and great for making breakcore type stuff.
I cant imagine it being very good for performing live with MIDI controllers though? or am i wrong?

Three Poster

Postby monZy666 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:33 pm

iam interesting too about it, aim doing on the renoise, but i dont anderstand anything :D

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:18 pm

I started out using Reason 3.0 over a year ago and it is still what I use... Although I've worked out a lot of tricks and techniques to make it work for me, I feel I can do a lot better with something like Cubase... The trouble with Reason is that it leaves you very little flexibility for things like tempo manipulation or even meter changes... you're stuck with one grid with a set tempo or meter for an entire "song" so if you want to change these things within a track, you have to render each section seperately... Another problem is, just adding little things like effects is a huge pain in the ass. For example, say you want to put a slightly different filter envelope on your snare patterns (i.e. a string of 64th notes or some junk) at 4 different spots in the track... you have to automate these changes in your filter device (which turns out doesn't work that well anyways; i end up routing things through the malstrom filters with everything in a combinator) or create 4 different filter devices with unique settings that you automate on/off throughout the track.... Plus the envelope settings aren't as flexible as I'd like anyways....

By contrast, in software like Cubase or Pro-Tools I think you can make these processes happen very quick and easy just by highlighting a section, going to a menu and tweaking your own settings... Plus I'd like to be able to see the waveforms in my sequencer instead of midi triggers represented by blocks in a grid...

I've never used tracking software but I've noticed it seems quite popular for people who make breakcore... to me it seems that it would be even more limiting and less intuitive than something Reason but that's based only on a visual impression...

But anyways I'd love to hear more about pros and cons of these different programs because I am strongly considering a switch-over to something else.

avis

Postby BYTE-Smasher » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Renoise is great for the amount of control it gives you over everything... from individual samples to instruments (sample collections) to VSTs... to pattern effects... DSP + VST(i) automation.... all the way to the included metadevices such LFOs that allow for realtime tweaking of any effect or instrument parameters... at levels faster than a 64th note (which I believe is the fastest reolution midi supports.. don't quote me though)... It's hard to explain exactly what it can offer, but I assure you that Renoise is the most robust tracker in existance, and it rivals most sequencers for useful features and control over your sound.
<b>Come visit #renoise on irc.esper.net, the official Renoise channel, and chat with some real renoise gurus!</b>
/server irc.esper.net
/join #renoise

Next

Return to Software