How to do 'breakcore'

Want to talk about software? Editing tools? Effects Processors? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Three Poster

Postby peacemaker » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:26 pm

If you are crazy about live experience, put "wii reaktor" in youtube.
It's a video of a guy who plays breakcore with a wiimote... f**k!

piero

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:01 pm

peacemaker wrote:If you are crazy about live experience, put "wii reaktor" in youtube.

piero

Surprisingly easy to set up actually. Wiimotes connect wirelessly via bluetooth so as long as you have a bluetooth-enabled computer and a couple of freely available programs it can be used as any other midi controller. This website explains how to use it for VJing bur it's easy enough to see how it could be used to perform a live breakcore set: http://vjkungfu.tv/archive/wii-to-midi- ... r-windows/

And here's a set by Soundbites performed using a wiimote to control Ableton Live: http://dswat.streamlinetrial.co.uk/theg ... 7_Live.mp3

Supah No0b

Postby WankZappa » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Resonance wrote:Seems like what most people here are saying is that programs like FL and such are better for styles like trance while 'trackers" (I assume you mean programs like Acid right?) is better for breakcore.

it really comes down to personal creativity, just having a certain program isn't gonna magically give you the ability to make breakcore...the one guy i know personally who makes breakcore uses nothing but fruity loops and his shit is sick

n3wb

Postby plucking skanker » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:45 pm

i use ableton live and logic

ableton for the ideas stage and logic for finishing it off

you can do it in anything really

Three Poster

Postby Arch-Stanton » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:05 am

Just started using Renoise myself, so far so good. I might give Reaktor a try later on though, just to explore all the other programs out there.

Three Poster

Postby beefcurtain » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:44 am

if you can't do it in the program you know best, don't get a new one until you can.

edit: try mapping cut up loops into NI Kontakt. put a fast beat in with loads of variation. Take some acid and sit in a dark damp hall for 12 hours. Translate your thoughts into music.

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:13 pm

peacemaker wrote:If you are crazy about live experience, put "wii reaktor" in youtube.

piero

mate, thats nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mwyEGCz6hs

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:43 pm

beefcurtain wrote:if you can't do it in the program you know best, don't get a new one until you can.

true dat.

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby Silent Frog » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:10 pm

That's funny. Istari has some real quality tunes though, picked up his Battybwoy Soundclash Massive 12" a few weeks ago. Gabbadub!

Supah No0b

Postby machine » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:00 pm

I think that in the beginning stages u might as well use any piece of software, depends if u feel comfy with it.Most of the time I jump a lot between Reaktor,Ableton,MaxMsp and Renoise,doing the rough arrangement in Ableton,then once i've got everything going smoothly,rewire the lot to Cubase and master it in there - i just prefer to do the mastering in a old-style sequencer,warping files in Ableton sometimes spoils the audio quality,but it might be only in my ears.

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:34 pm

i don't understand people using cubase for mastering - I thought it was mostly a sequencer?

i do my mastering in a wav editor like Soundforge or Audition.

Supah No0b

Postby machine » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:44 pm

What's there not to understand?? :D No sound editor can offer me the flexibility of audio routing that i've got with cubase.Fair enuff, sidechaining in sx3 is still a bit of a pain in the good ol' arse,but if my tune is based around a 4/4 gabber kick,the only way i see to have the breaks still banging is to use a dummy track with a simple 4/4 kick pattern underneath and let the Pro-C compressor do its magic :D It helps the drums to "gel" and leaves me with a bit more frequency space for the rest of the elements in the track.And another thing:when i'm in cubase, i only work with audio,as i mentioned before,all the sequencing and arrangements are made in ableton.

CoreCore Member

Postby Alan_ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:26 pm

I am pretty convoluted myself. I'll usually start out by using Reason for composition, as I play a lot of my parts by hand and the midi lag can be reduced down to almost nothing by running the audio at a lower quality. After I've got my basic stuff sequenced I then export a midi file and dump all the midi out of the reason file. Then I open up the midi file in Nuendo along with the reason file, rewire the reason instruments into Nuendo, and start playing with vst soft synths. I'll play with the sounds until I get what I want. Then I start exporting the individual tracks, sometimes using the same midi track to create multiple tracks using different sounds. I'll usually compress the drums and bass at this point too. I create a nuendo file for audio, and start importing everything into it. Then I mixdown and master, utilizing limiting on the master audio out once I've got the track to where the level doesn't ever go above 0db. I probably wouldn't need to bounce around like that if I had a faster machine.

I used to use Sound Forge and/or Wavelab until I figured out that I was adding an unnecessary extra step. I can utilize the same vst's in Nuendo that I can in a wav editor. Occasionally I'll open the wav up in Sound Forge to look at the waveform.

Pwner

Postby pimperteen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:40 am

machine wrote:What's there not to understand?? :D No sound editor can offer me the flexibility of audio routing that i've got with cubase.Fair enuff, sidechaining in sx3 is still a bit of a pain in the good ol' arse,but if my tune is based around a 4/4 gabber kick,the only way i see to have the breaks still banging is to use a dummy track with a simple 4/4 kick pattern underneath and let the Pro-C compressor do its magic :D It helps the drums to "gel" and leaves me with a bit more frequency space for the rest of the elements in the track.And another thing:when i'm in cubase, i only work with audio,as i mentioned before,all the sequencing and arrangements are made in ableton.

ah, i see. That's not mastering :)

mastering is the last step; you render/mix your final track as a stereo wav and then ... master it :)

Supah No0b

Postby machine » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:31 pm

aye,that's not mastering,but still,the FINAL STEP :D is actually made in cubase - stereo wav is treated with a couple of eq cuts and WaveArts Final Plug.That's it.

PreviousNext

Return to Software