Excited about potential new live setup...no laptop

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Average track rating:
4.0/5 out of 3 votes

Excited about potential new live setup...no laptop

Postby Technicyst Fix » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 am

So, first of all, this comes from someone who has never journeyed beyond the bedroom studio, so please take it for what it's worth. I have plans of playing live at some point before I die, and I wanted to do so without a laptop just out of personal preference. I began watching a ton of Boiler Room clips and stumbled upon some artists using the Roland SP-404/SP-404SX sampler as a lone instrument/playback device (see guys like Teebs, Dibia$e, Submerse)...my ideal setup was originally going to be something like the Elektron Octatrack, but I faced reality, and I don't have the time to learn the workflow...

So, I took the plunge, bought a SP-404SX and connected it to a Kaoss Pad Quad, and I must say it's a lot of fun. You get 29 effects in the Roland unit and then there's the ability to add more layers of FX through the Quad. Your songs can occupy a single pad each or you could map the stems across various pads...whatever you feel will give you the most optimal live performance setup. Lots of fun again...and relatively small learning curve, although it's tough to resist all those chopping effects. Thought this might help someone so I posted.

1337 P0ZT3r

Re: Excited about potential new live setup...no laptop

Postby verdroid » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 am

I like.

maybe try to get a second hand korg esx1.
That would be your main sampler. Its learning curve and price is lower then an elektron.

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 pm

thats awesome, i use alot of hardware for making tracks but cos of traveling restrictions its difficult for me to play it all live, i use an MPC1000, An Arturia MinibruteSE lots of guitar effects pedals a few cheap boss drum machines and run it all through a KP3, recorded into ableton all live on seperate tracks so i can edit them, also for my joint project with my friend , he has an Access Virus, a korg volca beats and a Eurorack modular with various makenoize and rene moduals again all into ableton with loads of midi controllers, its my dream to play it all out live one day too!!!
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

Average track rating:
4.0/5 out of 3 votes

Postby Technicyst Fix » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks for the tip, verdroid! I've actually been scoping the ESX1 for years so it's great to hear it come recommended!

Ohmega - some nice gear in that list! I was toying with the idea of guitar pedals as well. Currently, on the hw side, I've got a volca beats, Bass Station II (highly recommended), and a MiniNova (plus the forementioned SP-404SX and Quad). This new setup is pushing me closer to playing out live despite there really being no places to play here...planning on ruining some open mic nights...haha. Right now, I have a song assigned to pad 1 on the 404SX, run RCA out to the Quad, and then RCA to 1/4 to my sound card (or the house system if live). Very portable. There's plenty to fuck with live between the 404SX effects and the Quad, but it can get tough knowing when to back off since the completed songs already have effects on them. Only time will tell...

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:58 pm

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::fap*:::::

Lord!

Postby JohnMerrik » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:14 pm

SICK Video!