Recommended listening?

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

CoreCore Member

Recommended listening?

Postby avisupchurch » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:48 am

Hi all, I am looking for some nice complex breakcore that isn't Venetian Snares (love most of his records, but he hasn't done much lately.) My ears need something fresh (Can be old... as long as it's fresh to me.) What are some of your favorite artists/albums? I already know about Enduser, Wisp, and Dev/Null and enjoy some of their music a lot.

Hardcore Member

Postby thesavageapesofmars » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am

Check out Richard Devine and Xanopticon for some complex drumprograming. Igorrr makes an interesting mix of breakcore metal an baroque. And I like the Flashbulbs older albums.

Supah No0b

Postby neinneinnein » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 am

techdiff / i broke my robot / ebola / xanopticon / doc colibri / datachi / puzzleweasel

Platinum Poster!
Average track rating:
4.0/5 out of 1 votes

Postby Feutus Lapdance » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Flasbulp...

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:04 pm

neinneinnein wrote:techdiff / i broke my robot / ebola / xanopticon / doc colibri / datachi / puzzleweasel

doc colibri is now called ruby my dear but you shoud still defo check him out, also check out Acrynm, Fanny, S/M, bulkrate, and if you like snares defo check out Ablecain
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:06 pm

THanks for the replies, should give me enough to keep me busy listening for a while :] Yesterday I had a long commute so I listened to Shock Diamonds from Datach'i and Liminal Space from Xanopticon. First impressions: Shock Diamonds really felt like old-school electronic music vibe (like 1960's and 70's) in the way all the hits were laid out. It was hard to get into. Liminal Space had some amazing sound design but it kind of sounded like random hits programmed into a sequencer with no structure :-/ The chaotic percussion actually give an ambient feel; I guess that's kind of what he's going for. I did really like one of the tracks from Liminal Space, "Clii", purely because the sounds worked so nicely together to create a feeling of being suspended in space. But I'll have to listen to both in my living room where it's quiet, and not on a train or bus-- i'm sure they'll make more sense that way.

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:13 pm

liminal space is one of my fav albums, it defo is one of those albums you can listen to a 100times and you will notice something new everytime, i kinda get what your saying about random noises put in sequence but again the more you listen to it the more it changes and evoles and fits perfectly at the same time
http://sm666.bandcamp.com/ i also cannot recomend doombringer by s/m (slutmachine) enough i think you'll really enjoy it
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Try Shatterbreak and Dev/Null also, they were involved in some of the old zhark/rhinoplex stuff and are often associated with other north American producers such as Venny snares, Xanopticon and Doormouse etc. Also try and the last Aphex Twin album, it's not too dissimilar really.

Platinum Poster!
Average track rating:
4.0/5 out of 1 votes

Postby Feutus Lapdance » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 am

djtheblade wrote: Also try and the last Aphex Twin album, it's not too dissimilar really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBwUJMZNOgQ

Joure talking about this? One of its best songs....

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Feutus Lapdance wrote:
djtheblade wrote: Also try and the last Aphex Twin album, it's not too dissimilar really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBwUJMZNOgQ

Joure talking about this? One of its best songs....

That's awesome, it's like boards of canada but with faster tempo and harder drums :]

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 am

ohmega sir wrote:liminal space is one of my fav albums, it defo is one of those albums you can listen to a 100times and you will notice something new everytime, i kinda get what your saying about random noises put in sequence but again the more you listen to it the more it changes and evoles and fits perfectly at the same time

I gave this another listen today on proper speakers and without the train noise... there's a lot more structure than I first thought. I think I'm going to really enjoy this one when I get to know it :]

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 am

Liminal space is indeed fantastic.
I was also referring to Druqs by Aphex Twin, although that video link is sweet!

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 am

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm glad I asked... currently enjoying many of the suggestions from this thread on a regular basis! Thanks all who replied.

Return to General