It's all kicking off!

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

Postby Sense of Direction » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 am

This was a cool story

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 am

that is lame. the thing is it really brings rotator's credibility into question in my mind now - how many other tunes were actually ripped off.

My opinion has always been that sampling within the genre is not cool. You're supposed to sample from other scenes/sounds, that's what makes it interesting. sample some guitars/vocals/middle eastern flute/whatever, its going to be obvious that you sampled it. But just taking another producer's kicks/breaks that they have spent hours processing and cutting up is intellectually dishonest to say the least.

@blade - from what you're saying it sounds like other artists have been secretly ripping off others' work in the past - would be interesting to hear details on this?

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Well, all i'm saying is that Weyheyhey is by no means the only artist to level these accusations at Peace Off, I can personally reference several others (but rather wouldn't here). Again, these are only accusations and it would be inappropriate of us to gang up and burn the accused, but I will say for the record that I trust several of those who have expressed grievances and from the situations that they described I would have found myself a bit miffed off were I in their shoes.

We'd be naive if we thought artists never ripped bits from each other, most the time it is done subtly and stealthily in such a way that the original sounds are modified to such an extent that they become unrecogniseable. If you cut out a kick, pitch bend it, distort it, EQ it and then layer it over three other kicks such that nobody could possibly recognise it then no harm is done, surely? If you cut a distinctive 16 second arrangement from a song, complete with percussion and melody, and just paste it in to your song, someone is definitely going to notice and evaluate your use of it. These are all givens I think.

I believe one of the Nekrologic guys was directed to a certain Italian dj who was doing precisely this sort of thing to his tunes, you know, cutting whole patterns out and not disguising them in the slightest. Naturally there were some huffs and puffs.

I suppose it all boils down to;
A) Where you stand on artistic freedom, and
B) Where you stand on courtesy and cooperation.

and maybe some C) Common sense.

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:04 pm

from what i understand from weyheyheys email its not so much that he ripped him off, but more that he never had the decency to credit him, i think to a certain extent sampling within the same genre is ok, for example ruby my dear has sampled venetian snares before, but 1) credited him for it and 2) made something completely unique with it, and lytton u talking bout Frazbazz? and another thing for the record its not just Rotator that takes other people tracks and credits it to themselves there is a certain other artist on peace off from the US who is blatant as hell bout it
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 am

ohmega sir wrote: there is a certain other artist on peace off from the US who is blatant as hell bout it

out him :P

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:50 am

ohmega sir wrote:from what i understand from weyheyheys email its not so much that he ripped him off, but more that he never had the decency to credit him, i think to a certain extent sampling within the same genre is ok, for example ruby my dear has sampled venetian snares before, but 1) credited him for it and 2) made something completely unique with it, and lytton u talking bout Frazbazz? and another thing for the record its not just Rotator that takes other people tracks and credits it to themselves there is a certain other artist on peace off from the US who is blatant as hell bout it

Not Frazzbazz but I did hear something about that too

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 am

I've sampled loads of tunes, but always rearranged in some way, never just a straight up carbon copy though;also the fact that anything I've sampled has never ever been even half as decent as the original (not to mention I haven't suceeded nor even tried to make money out of it) has to count me out of any witchhunts (hopefully haha)

The debate about this on discogs is fantastic; http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/344347

"This hipster Shitmat wannabe is claiming he hasnt been given due credit when he in fact has. Muppet." bahaha
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:07 pm

S2K08 wrote:"This hipster Shitmat wannabe is claiming he hasnt been given due credit when he in fact has. Muppet." bahaha

Lol wtf, discogs seems to have a fucking deranged forum from what i could bear to read.. Apparently they also see no problem in ripping entire patterns from people and playing it unchanged as their own. :lol:

Weird shit. :D

Elite!

Postby weyheyhey !! » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks for the support guys, I guess, interesting to read your thoughts on the whole sampling debate.

Though, honestly, I didn't write that letter because I was upset about being sampled. I think what he did was pretty lame and not very cool, but it wasn't my main grievance. I only put it in the letter because I wanted to be open and honest about the dialogue I was having with Frank at the time.

My main issues with him are the way he treats his artists. I've got a number of good friends on that label, one in particular I spent a weekend with and he told me everything that Frank had done. I was so fucking angry I decided to write that letter. Frank knows what I'm talking about.

Looking back, I should've perhaps made that clearer and I could've avoided the distraction of a sampling debate. Oh well, it was interesting having the discussions on various places around the web. I discovered a few people with some pretty warped opinions on sampling and attribution. I also discovered how nasty and mean some people can be over nothing. Fortunately, it's water off a duck's back for me, couldn't give a shit!

"hipster Shitmat wannabe"

lol - this made me laugh so much, as it is SO far off the mark, it's kinda sweet. I have it quoted on my soundcloud page ;-)

teh_pwner

Postby S2K08 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 am

weyheyhey !! wrote:
"hipster Shitmat wannabe"

lol - this made me laugh so much, as it is SO far off the mark, it's kinda sweet. I have it quoted on my soundcloud page ;-)

If I'm jealous of anyone for anything, it's of you for being described as that.

good balls though, top job fuckin up the system, and fightin for your right to party
just memes and donks these days
http://www.soundcloud.com/sherekahnn

Hardcore Member

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Obligatory retaliation sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLJQFZlkDuQ

Previous

Return to General