Loyalty among theives.

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

N0oO0obZoR

Loyalty among theives.

Postby Demur » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:51 pm

Is there loyalty among thieves? Is it Ok for one artist to sample one track, and another artist in the same genre sample the same track?

I mean drum breaks obviously break this code (no pun intended). However what about full musical samples? Some classic vocal samples (NWA, Public Enemy, Lil John, Etc, Etc) have become rather passe. And ofcourse we have the antiquated Winstons Amen Brother sample.

But where is it we can draw a line? Is it alright for one breakcore artist to say sample Blondies Heart of Glass, and another to do the same thing? or even so, Is it ok for one artist to mass the Ghostbusters theme with Busta Rymes, and have another do the same?

Where does creativity with choosing a sample end, and creativity on editing, and music begin. In a genre that focuses on "Over Sampling" where is this unwritten law that states where fidelity breaks, and turns to treachery?
GRINDCORE!

Hates Breakcore

Re: Loyalty among theives.

Postby Thallium » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Demur wrote:Is there loyalty among thieves? Is it Ok for one artist to sample one track, and another artist in the same genre sample the same track?

I don't think it's a question of morality - there are infinite cheesy, shitty pop tracks out there that can [and have] been sampled to death, and if an artist feels the need to sample such a track that's already been done in the same genre, then they need to question their creativity, not their loyalty.
Last edited by Thallium on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n3wb

Postby cock knee cunt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:52 pm

i agree with thallium but ive sampled stuff, used it then heard other people using the same sample used in other ways sometimes better sometimes worse. so i believe you gotta just do your thing and be true to yourself.

also had plans to use stuff then heard it used by someone else thats a bit gutting but hey some stuff is just an obvious sample so alot of people will think of using what with it being so easy to produce a track with all the software these days

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:55 am

I'm making a track now, on a fucking well equiped computer @ my school, with the songe que sera sera from doris day, i don't really mind if anyone uses the same sampels or whatever, as long as it sounds good i lve listening to what other people make anyway. 8)

Greetz

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:17 am

if its breakcore you can do whatever you like. thats the point!

Supah No0b

Postby Halph-Price » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:39 pm

inspiration is another word for ripping off. sometimes these samples help GIVE artist creative direction. some people would rather be original, but that doesn't always work.

a lot of regular music consumers like to hear music that sounds simular. they don't like to be experimentive with what they hear. they are the ones that demand the same samples and same styles, and same music. it wouldn't pay off to rip off the same saples again if no one listened to it.

take an artist like moby that uses some obscure samples and gets some unique songs, or phat boy slim, or dr.dre even. Dre can take a well known sample and use it in a different way then most amature would. amature would loop the sample , unedited, unprocessed. that is a crime to art.

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby fap* » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Halph-Price wrote:take an artist like moby that uses some obscure samples and gets some unique songs, or phat boy slim, or dr.dre even. Dre can take a well known sample and use it in a different way then most amature would. amature would loop the sample , unedited, unprocessed. that is a crime to art.

i love some dr. dre, but if you go listen to the cronic, there are whole tracks that are just one big loop of parliment...i dont think thats too creative.

Supah No0b

Postby TSRX » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:52 am

I'd draw the line where it's something like Under Pressure/Ice Ice Baby.
If the song is obviously close to identical but no credit is given, that's wrong.

Hardcore Member

Postby DJ Dijitol Junkey » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:54 am

If you're so worried about it then make your own samples from like really obscure movies. Hell, use soap opera samples if you want a fresh sample that no one else is going to use. But no matter what, if you download a sample from the internet, someone else has used it in another song. Probably even the same genre. I had a mortal kombat movie quote from Johnny Cage something about sub-zero and scorpion. that same day I finished the track my friend brought over a few cds and two of the cds used the same exact sample. Nothing is sacred.

Three Poster

Postby hardhardhard » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:03 am

I dont agree really

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby vank » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:49 am

take take take!

CoreCore Member

Postby avisupchurch » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:43 pm

If someone remixes a track, and their remixed version of it is exactly what you want to hear as a listener, then great. Regardless of how cheap or uncreative it might be, someone has just fulfilled your listening need. And if that track that is mostly just Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time" with gabber kicks on every 4, most people will see it for exactly what it is and realize that it's not terribly creative, hit the stop button after 20 seconds or so and not waste their time with it. If they love it and want to buy it, that's their problem, and the producer who made it has succeeded in a way because someone liked their crap enough to buy it. It doesn't mean everyone else has to respect them for that. Kinda sucks for musicians and producers who spend a lot of time trying to make something original, but i think we're kidding ourselves if we think we're making breakcore to sell records and make money. If that were the case we'd all be making lame pop remixes and selling them to suckers with no taste. But instead we are being true to ourselves and making music no one will buy, but we enjoy making, hearing, and performing it... I think that is most important.

Three Poster

Postby Jorto Badfingers » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:32 pm

I'm kind of split on this one. Creative, well placed samples are great. It does get irritating to hear the same samples time after time however. And some samples are more tasteful than others. Look at some of the awful rap samples used in Dutch hardcore these days.

To the cynics I pose a question: How could an artist like Girl Talk become so immensely popular using virtually only samples of very well known songs?

Return to General