Crossbreed...

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Hardcore Member

Crossbreed...

Postby Sense of Direction » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:12 am

What does the I hate breakcore community think of this new phenomenon?(genre that has become quite popular among hardcore/hardstyle/dnb fans, by artists like DJ Hidden, The Outside Agency and guys like Switch Technique + Current Value)
Am I the only one who thinks it is really shit, a rip off of ideas in breakcore and sound like a really shitty mainstream aimed genre. I also hate how clean the quality of it is for fuck sake, the typical snare probably from battery 3 seems to be in every single track. It also has it's own facebook page.

CoreCore Member

Postby Mathlovsky » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 pm

i like drum n bass , i like hardcore, i like breakcore so i think it's quite nice it comes together in a some kind of style. You have clean productions and you still have raw ones.
soundcloud.com/mathlovsky

Hardcore Member

Postby Sense of Direction » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 am

But most of the stuff sounds like sped up house music

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Sense of Direction wrote:But most of the stuff sounds like sped up house music

i kinda see your point, but sometimes i really like listening to clean tight and well produced tracks, most of the time i like filthy distorted madness but its sometimes abit hard on the ears to listen to it all day every day
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

Pwner

Postby meatsweeper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Sense of Direction wrote:But most of the stuff sounds like sped up house music

not too sure about that, but personally I love the genre as it's a combination that is pushing boundraies with production and is getting stronger and stronger.

Hardcore Member

Postby Sense of Direction » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 am

Haha I see your point how it can be a break. Take a look at tracks like Machine Code - Heisenberg and COOH - Gerdan

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:04 am

I think core'n'bass/crossbreed is one of the neatest developments in electronic music, and easily the best thing that happened to Hardcore, ever. Mainstream Hardcore sounds have become so stale, and Industrial needed that extra edge to help bring about the crossbreed revolution. I think it's already a great idea because it takes nods from Breakcore, it can be clean and tight (Dj Hidden, Deathmachine) or it can be raw and distorted (Sei2ure, Tymon) and pretty much brings out the most exciting elements of Hardcore, and leaves the cheesy dance riffs out for a change.

To say that it's a rip off of Breakcore is inappropriate imho, because like I say I think homage can be found here, with many of the key producers specifically stating an interest in Breakcore (Tymon, Outside Agency, Tapage etc). If anything, this shows the potential for Breakcore producers to actually sit down and bat around some fresh ideas and work on their production game. Obviously when you restrict yourself to Hardcore and drum'n'bass you've already limited yourself somewhat, but there is still huge scope to play around, and I really think it's bought the best out of Hardcore and d'n'b. Anyone who is familiar with my Lytton moniker will know that this is the sort of thing i've been exploring a lot lately, all but abandoning my purely Breakcore aspirations, and whilst i'm obviously not at the standard as some of these fantastic (and they are fantastic) producers, I think it's been a really fun and useful learning experience to try some music that is semi-serious rather than overtly daft.

But hey, each to their own like, obviously it's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, I mean I listen to relatively little d'n'b but I suddenly love it when it's beefed up with some Hardcore elements. I can see why it might come across as very repetative to some, but I genuinely believe this has saved Underground Hardcore from a steady decline in popularity, at least in the UK where the scene is quite different from that in Holland.

Hardcore Member

Postby Sense of Direction » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 am

But I just don't see the hardcore elements, I really don't. Where the fuck are they? I much prefer the combination of drum n bass and Hardcore in breakcore

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:00 am

You don't see where the Hardcore is in tunes such as Tymon - Never look back, or Sei2ure - Rocket fuel, or TOA - Surreal? Big kicks mate, too big for orthodox d'n'b.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 am

Too be honest, i didn't even know this sub-genre existed. God damn i'm out of the loop. :D

I just call most tracks hardcore or dnb, didn't know they crossbred and formed a new genre. :shock:

What is current value then?, i call that dnb also, just dark and hard.

Pwner

Postby meatsweeper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

IMO Curent Value is in a league of his own man, his production is next level, he gets categorized as "DnB" but his productions have elements of most genres but I wouldn't class him as crossbreed for the simple reason that theres no big kicks and his tracks have a different energy and groove to that of crossbreed tracks.

If you cannot see the elements of hardcore in crossbreed you are def looking in the wrong place man...

Try searching for "Primitive" by the Outside Agency on sustained records and you'll see what I mean.

Platinum Poster!
Average track rating:
4.0/5 out of 1 votes

Postby Feutus Lapdance » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Are we talking about Drumstep here?

Elite!

Postby ohmega sir » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 pm

why oh why ever time something ever so slightly different comes out do we feel a need to give it a name and number and genre etc, how bout everyone just starts enjoying the music for what it is, music! i dont think i have ever sat down and gone ok today i am only going to listen to drumstepcorebasspopspeed, i just listen to what i like regardless of what other people call it
SPLATTERKORE!!!!!!!!!

Pwner

Postby meatsweeper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 pm

ohmega sir wrote:why oh why ever time something ever so slightly different comes out do we feel a need to give it a name and number and genre etc, how bout everyone just starts enjoying the music for what it is, music! i dont think i have ever sat down and gone ok today i am only going to listen to drumstepcorebasspopspeed, i just listen to what i like regardless of what other people call it

Meatsweeper "likes" this...

and this

http://www.forbiddensocietyrecordings.c ... athmachine

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 am

ohmega sir wrote:why oh why ever time something ever so slightly different comes out do we feel a need to give it a name and number and genre etc, how bout everyone just starts enjoying the music for what it is, music! i dont think i have ever sat down and gone ok today i am only going to listen to drumstepcorebasspopspeed, i just listen to what i like regardless of what other people call it

Agreed, i just call most stuff with a slight hitched anomaly on a standard 4/4 beat 'breakcore'. But thats just me, lol. :lol:

I did not hear about this subgenre crossbreed before, sure i like it and it is cool and all. But i did not know it had an own 'name' per se.

meatsweeper wrote:Meatsweeper "likes" this..
http://www.forbiddensocietyrecordings.c ... athmachine

Lovely stuff man, i did not know this had a own name though, like dj hidden stuff etc, i just call that dark fast dnb. (although i can see it has def 4x4 hard gabber kicks in between)

Lovely though, i embrace every new stuff that sounds cool i guess, but sometimes the naming of subgenres of subgenres has to stop. Just call it a mix of both i guess. But seeing as this stuff is often turned in this mix/new time it might warrent an own subgenre classification.

I dunno, maybe i'm just weird and pretty drunk,.

Next

Return to General