Sonic Intifada 2 cancelled, Marionette closing down

Shoot the shit, and talk about whatever here.

Moderators: PEPCORE, SweetPeaPod, BreakforceOne, JohnMerrik

Platinum Poster!

Sonic Intifada 2 cancelled, Marionette closing down

Postby djtheblade » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Bit of a drama queen subject come to think of it ha, but I won't be a prima donna. So it was and so it is, Marionette is shutting its doors after 8 long years.

We're cancelling the Sonic Intifada 2 compilation due to a lack of correspondance and support from some of those who initially pledged it, and further to this Marionette will push through it's final catalogue plans before going in to a state of indefinite hiatus.

I'm sure anyone out there who has ever run a label, promoted an event or even just played a gig is well aware of the numerous problems that can arise when dealing with flakey scene-fuckers, particularly when money is involved. There comes a point when an individual loses patience with the seemingly infinite torrent of let downs after let downs, and has to say fuck it, this aint worth me losing any more money over if it's not even returning any satisfaction any more.

We've worked with some really polite and game producers who've always been happy to chip in, send some mint tunes in and take part in the fun. But a combination of the issues outlined above coupled with a seemingly dwindling support base means that it's really not paying off any more (I don't mean in a fiscal sense, I never made a penny from this). The truth is that it's a costly affair for one man to run, and when you spend hundreds upon hundreds of pounds to be let down by people or sit by and witness a complete lack of feedback then it's time to make the sensible decision.

Breakcore has evolved in such a way that the most underground labels struggle to acquire really high quality free music because most of the producers want a physical release on the better known labels, but a culture of distrust has built up around free music to the extent that nobody will give it a chance any more. Every producer i've spoke to has agreed with me on this, many feel as if they have been releasing killer tunes for years and never got any recognition for it (and certainly no financial bonus). The result of all this? Small labels are destined to stay small, because they lack the connections, physical numbers of crew, and most importantly the money to be able to attract really really high quality releases. This is not an indictment of any of Marionette's releases, i've always been consistently happy with the quality of the free stuff we've released, but labels and promoters everywhere are feeling the squeeze; it's no longer financially viable to do this shit on your own, least of all try and put on a night (which in the UK at least will set you back many hundreds of pounds).

In short there is no room for a 'mid-ground' label which is what Marionette has been aiming to achieve, at least not when there is a single person running the said label part time, nor when there appears to be dwindling support base for the efforts. For this reason we will push out our next two releases, and then it's over.

The good news is that the next two releases should be a lot of fun, the first is an EP/mini album from BrokenNVEP who is fresh off some badass Peace off releases and who has really honed in on his skills! And the last big big one will be Marionette xmas 2011. It's going to be a............shock horror.........free download, but let's send the label out with a bang and maybe get all you horrible buggers to send in something for this one. A little something all of Ih8 breakcore can be proud of :) Send me your shit, and if you've sent me something already and I didn't express interest, then send it again.

Who's in?

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby verdroid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:02 pm

damn, the sub/warrior label also, i expect? I realy liked that hardcore dope shit. On the other hand, i totally understand the frustration/hard dissision. I will send you somethin' for a last comp in wav or mp3 - if it's any good at all, that yours to decide...

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Raston warrior is still in the mix cus interestingly i'm not the only person involved with that, and my real passion now as far as producing goes, lies with Hardcore, so my increasing dedication to being a producer goes hand in hand with the vested interest in the sub label.

Normal moderator and owner
Average track rating:
4.7/5 out of 6 votes

Postby PEPCORE » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Wow that sucks man. I'm sure you will set up something interesting in the future again. :D (Maybe dutch gabber label. :lol: )

Pwner

Postby Draegg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:49 am

bummer man, really digged the stuff you were putting out!

1337 P0ZT3r

Re: Sonic Intifada 2 cancelled, Marionette closing down

Postby verdroid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:30 pm

djtheblade wrote:Send me your shit, and if you've sent me something already and I didn't express interest, then send it again.

Who's in?

me! just sent :D

Hardcore Member

Postby helix » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 pm

damn man, I remember being asked to join by when there were 4 people on the bill, Terrorgay, Gay pride, Jameshead, and Dj Miscarriage! I was well chuffed! Oh the Buxton days, Doom was an awesome time. It's a damn shame, but all good things must come to an end......I've got a half finished tune that I started ages ago, might have to get it finished up and on this final release!

Maximum Pwnrdrive

Postby AfA62 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:01 am

I'm thinking about submitting something for the comp too :)
Which you the best for the future of RW, praying for maybe one day a revival of marionette

Average track rating:
4.0/5 out of 3 votes

Postby Technicyst Fix » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 am

All hail Marionette! You will not be forgotten!

Hardcore Member

Postby krafty_pk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Damn shame man, Marionette got me into breakcore, i bought Mark Helixs album........yeeeeeeeeeears ago, it was ace.

I know how hard it is as a promoter and a label guy myself, it took ages to get unjust off the ground but we have really hit our ground in the jungle game atm, I love breakcore as you do, but also as you say it is a far to flakey scene to be investing in unless you are Rotator and Peace Off haha.

P.s PM me your number on here or soundcloud man, i closed my facegay account and broke my old phone so got new number and dont have yours =)

LOVE YOU

1337 P0ZT3r

Postby SweetPeaPod » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:01 pm

oh.. suck.. i hear ya tho. it is very hard to keep things going.. even a good thing. i think aside from the months of planning & what not, my biggest loss in throwing one Bar][Core party was about $800 .. and time spent..promoting.. finding places for people to stay and everything.. i too loved doing it for the sake of doing it.. not ever expecting for it to sustain me, but at least sustain itself.. :'( i too have let something good go. i think it took a solid 2 years for my heart to stop aching over it.
*good luck to ya

Platinum Poster!

Postby djtheblade » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 am

Cheers for the kind words guys, I'll still be here of course. Got lots of demos already, keep em coming guys!

Pwner

Postby DISEMBOWELLED » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:46 pm

my condolences. its interesting how the honeymoon period of the "ALL MUSIC FOR FREE" movement has now come to an end and people are left kind of scratching their heads. looking forward to that brokenNVEP release though, his shit is awesome

Most Valuable Poster!

Postby divtech » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:12 pm

DISEMBOWELLED wrote: the honeymoon period of the "ALL MUSIC FOR FREE" movement has now come to an end

interesting observation, i can attest to the validity of this.

Return to General